First questions: grinder & bench height

Thanks to everyone for their welcome and suggestions.

One of the deciding factors in getting the Sherline was its portability. I don't have the space to devote a permanent spot for it. And of course the reputation for quality control before it gets to me.

I do have an Optivisor. Use it all the time.

The fact that I will have to look at this thing from the top hadn't occurred to me, at least consciously. Very good point.

I had the identical Rikon grinder shown above, for woodworking tools, but sold it after I got a Worksharp. I will get a couple white Norton wheels for my grinder.

I will be back with more questions.

Lets see, what do I need to order today? Rear parting tool & post...maybe a live center. A set of short drill bits...maybe a couple reamers to start. The next few credit card bills are going to be ugly. "Every time my phone dings, Visa makes a buck."

Frank

Last edited:
I have heard numerous times theat the ideal height for a machine is where your forearms are horizontal in a working position. Checking my machines, they are all set up that way.

Did you order the lathe with the C package? That covers a lot of the more useful tooling. It makes a handy list of things to consider if you didn't.

I've found in general Sherline's package deals tend to be a significant savings vs buying separate. When Sherline offers something as a set or individually, they generally make it worth buying the set. The watchmakers collets being a good example, the set is easily 25% cheaper than buying everything individually.

Sherline's monthly sales are worth watching as well, usually 20% off an item, or related group of items. A good way to save some money on tooling you would like to get, but are not in a rush to have. Chucks are something that show up at least once a year.

Last edited:
I got the A package so I got the 3 jaw and drill chucks. B package would have been a better choice for what I dream of doing as I learn.

I have no idea what you will need for fishing pole parts but you can do a lot with just that set up. Over the few years I have had mine I have acquired a lot of tooling, but the 3 jaw chuck and drill chuck are easily my most used items.

The portability of the lathe will make it easy for you to find a height you like, at only 30lbs or so it is very easy to adjust your workspace as you find your preferences. I've been tempted to take mine camping and run it off a generator just because I can. Oh, what's that you need a tent stake, give me 5 minutes. :grin:

Sherline has excellent customer service, if you have any issues with something you get from them make a call, or send an email and they are very responsive to customer needs. A lot of their kind of off the wall tooling came from customer requests. They also have a youtube channel with videos showing how to set up the machines and tooling.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE1JHjomPS6ZBL9gkZlIyHQ

Last edited:
I hope your grinder has a vacuum port for when you dress the wheels. My 8" does not, and no matter where I tried to vacuum from, disc dust was a nightmare for me. I went to CBN wheels for that reason, they have some issues too, so not a free pass.
I have a 2 x 48 belt I use for most of the tool grinding.

Back