First Real Job On The Lathe

Braeden P

Registered
Registered
So my neighbor is making rc trailers and needs 24 lead screws made an he has 3 mills but no lathe so he gave us the plans and asked if we could make them and they are simple parts so now we are going to make them and we will need to use the starrett 127! And now the fun begins we made one tested it in the prototype and it worked so now time to make the rest!

Attachments

• 8B8B784D-907A-430A-890F-327641E17243.jpeg
    8B8B784D-907A-430A-890F-327641E17243.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 104
I don’t think they ever made one for my lathe so really light cuts and 3 spring passes really bendy I could make a follow rest from it but that would be hard with such little space to mount it

I assume you are just turning the end down on purchased Acme threaded rod, right? If so, you can choke up so only the end is sticking out and a follow rest isn't necessary.

I am assuming that he intended to cut the thread. Is 1/4-16 rod commercially available?

Spec called out a McMaster part number. A quarter of an inch should easily pass thru most lathes spindle, so no need for a rest of any kind. What is the final tolerance? I imagine that a simple pair of 6" digital calipers would be sufficient for this task.

I assumed so given the McMaster stock number on the print.

The MCM p/n is for 1/4-16 x 6' Acme threaded rod.

Yes, now I see that spec on the drawing; hard to see clearly with these 76 year old eyes --- Personally, I do not trust dial or digital calipers for close measurements, without stated tolerances noted on the drawing, who knows, but I sure would nail that down with the customer before proceeding.

These 55 yr old eyes were also squinting...

Back