First Rifle Nostalgia

My first rifle was a Remington Model 512 given to me by an uncle on my 12th birthday. It was a used rifle, in good condition, and I put thousands of rounds through it in my youth. I recently passed it on to my grandson on his 12th birthday.

Ted

My first rifle was a Marlin 60 .22 with a Tasco (?) scope. 1000's of rounds went through that rifle, nothing was safe.

My first was a .410 single shot, dad gave it to me when I was 4. When I was 8 he gave me a Winchester pump .22 which he bought from an old friend for $5. I promptly put 2 rounds through my bedroom ceiling and lost custody for a year. I shot a lot of jack rabbits and ground squirrels with that thing. When I graduated 8th grade, he gave me a Browning Belgium .22 semi-automatic with a scope and my name engraved on it. That was in 1965, he paid $110 for it. It burned up in the bunkhouse my step-brothers and I were occupying. We blamed the fire on electrical wiring, never told the folks we'd been playing with fireworks. Dad bought me a replacement. Sold the .410 to the Mexican foreman on the farm about that time for $20. I still have the Winchester and the Browning.

Back in 1952 I bought my first rifle. It was a J.C. Higgins .22 bolt action with an 8 shot clip. I paid $21.75 on sale at Sears as I recall. That was the most I could afford as a 13 year old with a paper route. I was immensely jealous of a friend whose uncle gave him a remington pump .22 that originally cost close to 3 times that amount.

It's funny how the years soften those recollections. Today, that little .22 from so many decades ago has a special place in my memory. While that particular gun is long gone, I have seen fit to replace it with not one, but two.

Mine is a JC Higgins also. I still have it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My first rifles, my dad's rifles, and my grandfathers' rifles from both parents were all liberated from my possession by meth thieves. One group left while I was in college, and the rest went bye-bye while I was overseas in the Army. No matter what you do to make a storage unit secure, given enough time and complacency by the storage superintendents, those human rats will find a way in and strip it bare. There was nothing I could do, since I was on orders to Kosovo. My dad welded the door to my storage unit shut after dealing with the sheriff reports and left a O/A torch in another unit so I could get in when I returned. I replaced a few of my modern favorites, but the older rifles just weren't worth replacing without the memories and generational history that went with them.

Back