First scraping attempt: a Denis Foster 8” Featherweight straightedge

He’s a good dude. Handy around the shop on the lathe, mill, TIG welder and angle grinder. He wants to be a mechanical engineer, so making sure he has a foundation in actually doing rather than just designing

Last edited:
Made a few more passes on the sole and the 45 degree face and in addition to getting a bit better through practice, two big improvements for me are:

1. I put a 600 grit diamond wheel on the Deckel clone and am now correctly grinding down into the carbide blade. I knew better, but in my excitement over trying out my jig, I had angled it 5 degrees the wrong way. The results are WOW. Super sharp carbide and a MUCH easier time scraping.

2. I added a better pad to my Biax/Dapra hand scraper and I wouldn’t have thought it would make such a difference, but it’s soooo much easier to body scrape now.

3dfc790d0f2240a04549af732eb0d0c2.jpg

Another tip is to drill and tap 1/4" 20 holes into the ends so you can hold it better. Put in a hex bolt with a jam nut on it. Then tighten the bolts between to vises or 2 Johanson wood clamps. It will hold better and not wiggle in the wood V block.

Did you ever finish scraping? I'm also thinking about picking one of these up as a first scraping project!

I have the exact same casting and have also completed the milling on mine. Same results on the first hinging. I have not yet started the scraping process yet due to not having any good scraping tools or a way to re sharpen them. Good tools are always on my bucket list. Thanks for bringing us along.

Just saw your scraper sharpening setup on page one. Great minds think alike? Matched the factory radius, added 1 degree of toe.

IMAG0770.jpg

I also concerned about sharpening my scraper blades. I do not have a dedicated sharpener sadly.

Back