First Shaper, many questions

Mikebr5

Registered
Registered
Greetings brethren.
I have a new tool, and so much to learn about it.
1-20.jpg
A 1972 G&E 16" Universal... I don't know enough about it to know which of the models (industrial, tool room... ?) The tag on the electrics says "STD SHAPER" but my reading on the topic leads me to believe that this means it is a crank model, not hydraulic or gear.
I had my hands on a shaper back when I was in high school, but it was not a machine that I learned at the time.

I have not put power to it yet because I am planning on a complete inner rebuild of my workshop, including rewiring, insulation, heat and better lighting.
I had expected to get familiar with the controls before then though, but I am scratching my head on a few things.
2018-02-03_17-51-23.jpg
Comparing the two images, you can see that mine has what appears to be an auto-feed on the toolhead, but I don't see how it is actuated. It does not show up on the example image in the closest manual that I can find.
There is also an unlabeled square-drive right behind the toolhead, and I am guessing that it is for rotating the head. I don't see how to unlock the head though, and when I put the square-drive handle on and turned it, it turned almost free. If I were to go only by feel, it seems like something is stripped out, but this thing is built so beefy that I have a tough time thinking that is real. I can't quite see up there, and thinking about buying a borescope or one of those cameras on a flex shaft to see inside there with my cell phone.

The other funky thing that kind of has me wondering - the stroke indicator is on a ring around the "stroke length control" in the diagram... But the funny thing is that the numbers are upside down and on the bottom of the control, not likely the factory condition.

The Ram Lock is the square-drive on top of the ram and furthest aft... and seems to have a 90 degree movement between locked and unlocked.
When it is in what I believe is the unlocked position, turning the sq-drive marked "Ram Positioning Control" doesn't move the ram... Any suggestions as to what is going on?

The table has a support in the front due to its weight- The support keeps it from sagging and adding a few thousandths to the error I suppose. The machine has rapid traverse L&R, but also up and down. Seems odd... Does the table and vise need to be re-zeroed after every up or down movement?

I will be grateful for any experience and knowledge that you'll share... Thank you kindly.

Hey Mike, great looking machine you have. I have no direct experience with the G&E machines, but I was just watching Adam Booth's latest video last night and I think he answers a few of the same questions you're asking about. Namely the auto feed on the tool head (I think you're missing a piece which he shows) as well as a couple of other things. You might check out his channel if you haven't already. I'm pretty sure there will be a lot more shaper discussion coming up. Here's a link:

-frank

Good morning Frank, and thank you for the nudge to Abom79.
You were right- the odd shaped piece that he received in the mail is the piece that mine is missing for the auto-downfeed. Thank you!
Excellent. I'll have to ask him if he's able to post dimensions, although it can probably be made from knowing the shape now.
Almost every other shaper that I have seen on YouTube University has a long handle for a manual clutch that engages the ram... But the machines apparently have an oil circulating pump that is rotating while the machine is idling. The manual that I downloaded says to let the motor idle for 3-5 minutes before engaging ram, and Abom confirms that with his "first run" video.
Mine has Start/Stop pushbuttons, and right above them a RAM-START/STOP switch, and the electric clutch is outboard of the machine pulley. It's either a concentric shaft that always turns the pump when the motor is on, or I have a lemon.
Does anyone here have a shaper with an electric clutch?

I'd venture to say it's just to let the motor warm up and it does have an oiling system. The electric clutch is probably replacing the manual clutch leve or just a SAFTEY requirement from ole ohsa. MORE THEN LIKELY,,,. And I'd love to have that bugger. Perfect size. Another you tube I think his name is ..be right back

Last edited:
Won't. edit Steve Summers has some nice shaper vids , Stephen Gottswinter ??? Is an exceptional machinist from Germany he's very meticulous . Rebuilds everything to make it better and or tighter. A few more on there but these with a bomb are tops.

I have a G&E 20-24 universal shaper with the electric clutch and brake just like yours, and I do have a manual for it that could be copied. My shaper was made in 1957. It does not have the automatic down feed on the ram like yours, but does have auto feed on the saddle up and down with rapid travel. To unlock the ram head swivel, more than one turn is necessary, same for the stroke positioning lock; to set the ram stroke, you have to rotate the ram drive shaft which is the part you are looking at with the stroke length and zero point stamped into it; this you do by actuating the start lever with the motor running until the markings are on top where you can read them. As I said above, there is an electric brake as well as the electric clutch, it is inside the sump, and also the fact that the motor idles while the ram mechanism is not running provides for the oil circulating system; light Mobil Vactra oil is used, and the lubrication of nearly the whole machine is done automatically.
If you need/want more info., contact me via e mail at york@napanet.net Oh, I just remembered, to use the saddle up and down feed you have to unlock two plain nuts on the gibs , both on the operator's side, one an extension nut, and one on the gib itself; when finished moving the saddle up or down, you just relock the two locks. When moving the saddle vertically, whether for rapid travel or feeding, a lever on the saddle below the cross feed dial selects between vertical travel and horizontal travel; if you are feeding vertically, the feed to the (automatic) horizontal feed is disengaged, and vice versa. The differences between your shaper and mine is that, of course yours is a 16" stroke, and mine is a 24" stroke on a 20" size frame.

I'd venture to say it's just to let the motor warm up and it does have an oiling system. The electric clutch is probably replacing the manual clutch leve or just a SAFTEY requirement from ole ohsa. MORE THEN LIKELY,,,. And I'd love to have that bugger. Perfect size. Another you tube I think his name is ..be right back
Actually. the electric clutch/brake setup is better And more sensitive than the mechanical clutch; it is an improvement.

The operator's book calls for " a highly refined straight mineral oil of 500 - 600 seconds Saybolt Viscosity at 100 degrees";this is for machines with manual clutch; for the electric clutch, I used an ISO #100 oil of the Mobil Vactra family. There is a replaceable element oil filter inside the door opening in the side of the machine, and likely, the oil should be drained, the sump cleaned out and new oil added; the 16" shaper takes 4-1/2 gallons and there is an oil level dipstick on the base below the access door.

Last edited:
Welcome to the G&E club :)
You got one too? Mine is my 3rd shaper; first a 16" Queen City lineshaft drive, second a WW-1 G&E 24", then the 20-24 universal. I was quite surprised to see that they were still being made as late as 1972 as Mike points out with his as an example.

Back