First Successful Project...

freeqgeek

Registered
Registered
Recently purchased a PM-1236 and have been haunting these boards, YouTube, etc. attempting to figure out how to use it. Slowly picking things up and am so excited to have finished my first project on the lathe. Shout out to Chris at Clickspring for his videos on the fire piston.

IMG_1079.jpgIMG_1081.jpg

Not thrilled about the finish I got on the piston itself. Turns out that turning small diameter parts is really freaking difficult :)

Anyways, thanks to everyone here for their posts and replies to my questions...

Good job on the fire piston!

Chris is going to cost me a jillion dollars before it's over. Did you watch the clock build? I've been adding up the costs and it's going to take a long time before I can afford to embark on that mission, but when I do, I'm going to combine my love of musical stuff with my love of mechanical stuff and build a chiming clock. If I live that long, that is. If.

Will yours light a fire? I tried and tried with mine and got no fire.
Then one day months later it's just sitting on my desk and someone asked about it. I pick it up to demonstrate and low and behold
I get red hot burning could make fire out of it.
Thinking I might just need to up the compression ratio. Maybe my well to hold material is on the big side dropping my CR.
20180309_064114[1].jpg

Looks good! I'm thinking about making one, little concerned about my 10yo son, but he's gotta learn about fire eventually. Not that I could stop him if I wanted to, pyro genes from both sides. :)
My father's favorite holiday has always been 4th of July. With three sons and endless supplies of trouble, it kind of just rubbed off on us as well :) To this day I still enjoy blowing things up...lol. So I get the impetus. Me at ten though, if your son is anything like I was, I feel for ya :)

Good job on the fire piston!

Chris is going to cost me a jillion dollars before it's over. Did you watch the clock build? I've been adding up the costs and it's going to take a long time before I can afford to embark on that mission, but when I do, I'm going to combine my love of musical stuff with my love of mechanical stuff and build a chiming clock. If I live that long, that is. If.
Oh yeah... Damn that guy. I wasn't even interested in clock building as part of this hobby until I saw his videos...lol. As if turning barrels, truing actions, and building suppressors wasn't already going to cost me enough money. At least I have someone I can point to for my wife to blame :)

I am a musician as well. Playing the guitar for over thirty years now... What about you? Sounds like the clocks you want to build are going to be fantastically complicated.

Will yours light a fire? I tried and tried with mine and got no fire.
Then one day months later it's just sitting on my desk and someone asked about it. I pick it up to demonstrate and low and behold
I get red hot burning could make fire out of it.
Thinking I might just need to up the compression ratio. Maybe my well to hold material is on the big side dropping my CR.
View attachment 261232
I really love all the knurling on yours. I thought about doing the same. Polished brass is really difficult to hold onto and my threads are so tight that it takes some effort to unscrew the caps.

I haven't tried to make fire yet. Still need to make some char-cloth. I have to imagine it will work though. Part of the reason it took me three attempts to get this right is that my dimensions are within .002" of Chris's specs. I am kind of anal retentive about that kind of stuff. If I blew past a number, even if only by a few thou' I would start over...

Oh yeah... Damn that guy. I wasn't even interested in clock building as part of this hobby until I saw his videos...lol. As if turning barrels, truing actions, and building suppressors wasn't already going to cost me enough money. At least I have someone I can point to for my wife to blame :)

Right? And he makes it look so freaking easy. Oh yeah, I'll just whip up this square drive gear set and shaft...

I already had to blame @mikey for my belt grinder build. I might have to wait a bit before trying to blame another guy online for projects. :)

Oh yeah... Damn that guy. I wasn't even interested in clock building as part of this hobby until I saw his videos...lol.
I saw plans for a wooden skeleton clock once, and that started the fascination. I never did build one, because I know what would happen if I tried to cut out all those teeth with a scroll saw. I did, however, assemble three of them from laser-cut plywood kits. These were a cool and attractive novelty, but the experience left me with the idea that a clock would probably work much better if you made it out of metal. My wooden clocks are hard to keep in beat, and extremely hard to regulate. Metal could solve a lot of problems.

I have a better idea than some what it actually takes to put a skeleton clock together and get it working, and I don't know if I could ever complete the project or not. I have a partially finished wooden USS Constitution sitting on my desk, and I hope to finish that one day too, but I don't have a good track record with long and elaborate projects. I'm flaky and easily distracted. It is what it is.
I am a musician as well. Playing the guitar for over thirty years now... What about you? Sounds like the clocks you want to build are going to be fantastically complicated.
My metal-cutting bandsaw is my oldest piece of metal shop equipment. I bought it to make the chimes for tuned wind chimes about 20 years ago. I've daydreamed about using the chimes in various ways, but I couldn't make gears and other parts to build mechanisms. I still can't at the moment, but I'm a lot closer having a lathe and mill.

I guess I can post a video that in no way whatsoever promotes me with commercial intent. I'm not a musician, I'm a dabbler. This is the only time I ever did or ever will sing in public, it's me on trumpet, bass, rhythm, lead, drums, and vocals singing the blues.

I saw plans for a wooden skeleton clock once, and that started the fascination. I never did build one, because I know what would happen if I tried to cut out all those teeth with a scroll saw. I did, however, assemble three of them from laser-cut plywood kits. These were a cool and attractive novelty, but the experience left me with the idea that a clock would probably work much better if you made it out of metal. My wooden clocks are hard to keep in beat, and extremely hard to regulate. Metal could solve a lot of problems.

I have a better idea than some what it actually takes to put a skeleton clock together and get it working, and I don't know if I could ever complete the project or not. I have a partially finished wooden USS Constitution sitting on my desk, and I hope to finish that one day too, but I don't have a good track record with long and elaborate projects. I'm flaky and easily distracted. It is what it is.
My metal-cutting bandsaw is my oldest piece of metal shop equipment. I bought it to make the chimes for tuned wind chimes about 20 years ago. I've daydreamed about using the chimes in various ways, but I couldn't make gears and other parts to build mechanisms. I still can't at the moment, but I'm a lot closer having a lathe and mill.

I guess I can post a video that in no way whatsoever promotes me with commercial intent. I'm not a musician, I'm a dabbler. This is the only time I ever did or ever will sing in public, it's me on trumpet, bass, rhythm, lead, drums, and vocals singing the blues.

Pretty good! I played guitar and bass in blues bands in the '60s and '70s. We weren't always good, but we were always LOUD! :cool 2:

Back