First thing I made on my Mini Lathe

paul_cpu

Registered
Registered
I have a Hobby rock tumbler. It ran well for a few months then I came outside to an odd sound. I saw the tumbler stopped "tumbling". I pulled it apart and saw 2 plastic gears worm and slipping and that bush on the drive shaft of the electric motor worn badly and allowing a lot of play. The photo shows the size. I had a look on ebay for a replacement motor ( I mean the tumbler was $30 second hand ) a motor was a few dollars. After some consideration I was wondering if I could get my dad to make that bush. He does have a lathe but he is a bit older and with this COVID stuff I can't get over there easily. I decided to start checking our some Lathes and pulled the trigger on a Mini lathe.

Attachments

• 79a8266b-1a64-4496-a550-71fafc05f3dc.jpg
    79a8266b-1a64-4496-a550-71fafc05f3dc.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 93
Hi Paul,

I'm hoping for an update of your lathe, and your fix!

-brino

Last edited:
I have a Hobby rock tumbler. It ran well for a few months then I came outside to an odd sound. I saw the tumbler stopped "tumbling". I pulled it apart and saw 2 plastic gears worm and slipping and that bush on the drive shaft of the electric motor worn badly and allowing a lot of play. The photo shows the size. I had a look on ebay for a replacement motor ( I mean the tumbler was $30 second hand ) a motor was a few dollars. After some consideration I was wondering if I could get my dad to make that bush. He does have a lathe but he is a bit older and with this COVID stuff I can't get over there easily. I decided to start checking our some Lathes and pulled the trigger on a Mini lathe.
And so it starts . . . Congrats!

Bruce

Old and new.

When I bought the lathe I also bought a cut off blade. I didn't know I had to also buy a holder for that so I cut it off wiht a hacksaw and filed it down to the right width.

IMG_1225.jpg

Nice use for the mini lathe. Right inside the work envelope.

One of the Drive geas was totally worn. The exact outgear seems to be hard to get ( I did order a bunch of random gears though they have not yet arrived ). I needed to fix this. The inner gear is pretty standard.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 1.39.24 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 1.39.24 pm.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
I had this little one and figured I could carefully file off the stuffed inner gear off the old one file the teeth on the new smaller one, perfectly align them and glue it on. I roughed up both faces and used some B600 glue.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 1.39.07 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 1.39.07 pm.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 38
It's drying now. Ill ensure there is no debri in the hole ( incase some glue leaked in ) and see how this goes. I test fitted and there is sufficient clearance even with the new gear glued on the old one.

Attachments

• IMG_1262.jpg
    IMG_1262.jpg
    614.6 KB · Views: 39
Back