First time disassembling an Albrecht chuck

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
In a recent purchase I picked up 6 Albrecht chucks, all in very nice shape. There were 3 1/16'-1/2" and 3 of varying smaller sizes. A very nice score!

Anyways, one of the larger had a #2MT shank. I decided to use that one on my lathes that have #3MT tail stocks, so I ordered a new shank. From my research, it looked to me like the best way to remove the existing shank was to disassemble the chuck and press it out. So, I started to look for tips on doing this.

I found this: http://www.machinistblog.com/rebuilding-an-albrecht-drill-chuck/ which I believe might be from @mikey ? If so, I want to thank him very much for the very useful instructions. There is no doubt I would have put grease on the internal threads if I had not read this post.

Everything went smoothly and now I have a #3MT shank on my nice chuck!

Ted

Oh man, one has to disassemble them?
I want to put an R8 on my 5/8" that has a straight shank...
My luck at dis-assembling drill chucks and getting them back together, is '0' for many...

A pair of taper wedges comes in handy, often with help of a "G" clamp and hammer.

Oh man, one has to disassemble them?
I want to put an R8 on my 5/8" that has a straight shank...
My luck at dis-assembling drill chucks and getting them back together, is '0' for many...

Dan, why not just leave that straight shank in there? If it has to come out, there are many ways to get an arbor out of an Albrecht, like the wedges that Baron pointed out, or a ball joint fork or whatever. You only have to take an Albrecht apart if it is malfunctioning, damaged or if you have to get an arbor out that is totally stuck. Luckily, getting it apart is not hard to do and it is a good opportunity to clean it out and make sure everything is in working order.

Besides, you need one in the win column, right?

Is it safe to spray LPS 2 to the outside of the chuck, or will this lead to oil getting inside?

Sure, no problem. Just don't spray into the chuck.

Thank you, high salt environment at my house. LOL

This used to be a "dumb question" I'm sure, but not anymore because I'm asking.Why not get oil inside the chuck?

Chuck

An Albrecht keyless chuck relies on the threaded spindle inside being oil-free so it can lock down on a bit and stay locked. If oil gets in there the bit will come loose and spin. That's why so many ebay chucks are so hard to disassemble. Folks think cranking down on the hood will keep the bit from spinning in the chuck but it won't. You have to take the chuck apart and clean the oil out of the spindle threads.

Back