First timers questions...................

MarkBall2

Registered
Registered
Loaded questions.

First to answer "how big is too big", check out this link: http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/William_Doxford_and_Sons#The_Manufactu

Tooling expenses are a never ending expense. Initially the expense will be rather high to obtain the following items:
[list type=decimal]
[li]Boring bars,[/li]
[li]HSS tool bits[/li]
[li]Bench grinder/belt grinder[/li]
[li]wrenches,[/li]
[li]chucks,[/li]
[li]QCTP - once you try it you many not go back to a rocker post,[/li]
[li]chip brush[/li]
[li]cutting oil,[/li]
[li]way oil,[/li]
[li]bearing oil,[/li]
[li]waste bucket - for the chips/strings you create,[/li]
[li]gloves - for use ONLY to clean out the chips after the lathe/mill is shut off,[/li]
[li]a whole lot of other stuff I can't think of right now[/li]

[/list]

Not knowing your skill levels makes this somewhat difficult but here goes. I grew up o a 12 X 36 Clausing. It has three work holding tools: 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks and a face plate. A dial indicater is important for working with the 4 jaw chuck and is a method of removing and replacing the project in the lathe on the original turning axis.. The faceplate will let you secure odd shaped pieces and when using "lathe centers" lets you work on long pieces. A "lathe dog" is also required on work between centers.

The bore in the spindle plays an important part in kow you hold the work, I recently turned a left hand thread on a 1 1/4" bar to repair the upper third member on a farm tractor 3 point lift system. My lathe has a 0.75" bore, as you can imagine grtting the centering holes near the bar center axis was a challenge. Had I been able to get the bar on center using a 4 jaw chuck the job would have been much faster and easier.

Much of my work extends out from the chuck over the 2 X the diameter limit so I use "centers" in the tail stock a lot, keeping that oiled is critical.

All of the posts preceeding this one have very important points, perhaps I over simplified.

Work safely and have fun.

Ray

Back