First Use Of Mini Lathe

Tool Chatter

Registered
Registered
I finally got around to using my mini lathe for the first time. A rather simple project, but the item I needed to machine was really hard. This is a part of a clutch mechanism for a Harley Davidson. What I needed to do was open up the OD of the recess on the part to accept a larger diameter bearing race (thrust washer). Once I had the OD opened up, I also made a cleanup cut along the base to try and make the transition to the larger OD smooth.

What I have a question about is how would I easily go about mounting the thrust washer in the photo to the chuck, by the inside diameter of the thrust washer? I want to make a slight chamfer across the OD of the thrust washer. The ID is 0.255", the thickness of the thrust washer is 0.093". It of course needs to be centered so that the chamfer is made without changing the relation of OD to ID center.

Thanks

View media item 97318
View media item 97319
View media item 97317

turn a step into a scrap piece of rod that matches the ID,
make/use a male or female thread on the end of the stepped rod and tighten the thrust washer against the step.
turn washer OD as necessary and dismount when done

That's a pretty good suggestion. I guess I'm still in what can I get mode, and should be shifting to what can I make mode. I'll just have to see how tight I could clamp the thrust washer on a rod by a nut on a threaded end. The thrust washer is also pretty hard, so will take a little ummph to machine it. It appears to be ground to thickness.

Hit the edge of the thrust washer with a file. If the file bites in you can machine it with HSS. If the file skates, you will need to use carbide.

I'll second Ulma Dr's suggestion to turn your own arbor. Doing that ensures that the arbor has zero runout. Plus you can match the diameter to your part as close as you desire. All of which gets you a washer with a chamfer that is as concentric to the id and OD as possible.
Best of all you can make the arbor in the next hour and not wait for a fed ex delivery.
Lastly, the shoulder on the arbor will square up the washer nicely. Clamping things in a 3 jaw chuck and getting them running true in both directions is a real pain, especially thin parts.

I'll have to order a piece of steel to make an arbor, so I still have to wait. It'll be awhile until I have some surplus of materials to pick from. But I always buy more of anything I need, so it shouldn't take to long.

you can use aluminum, copper, delrin, bronze- almost any material should suffice as an arbor unless the washer is very hard

And to add to the above, you can use a friction drive with a piece of tube held in the tail stock chuck if you don't want to thread the mandrel.

David

And to add to the above, you can use a friction drive with a piece of tube held in the tail stock chuck if you don't want to thread the mandrel.

David

That's a great idea! I'll have to give that a try.

I'm probably in need of some more practice before trying my hand at threads.

Back