Fitting a clutch to lathe.

By going to a 3 phase motor, there are no start/stop issues to deal with. Using a VFD you get both controlled acceleration and deceleration to whatever degree you want. I have done a number of smaller lathe conversions, often go with a 2 Hp motor if it will fit. Alternatively you could go with a DC motor and controller with braking. A lot easier then adding clutches and brakes and the space it would take up. There are also brake motors for either single phase or 3 phase, but they are pricey. Expense wise, if you do both a mechanical brake and some form of clutch, a VFD and 3 phase motor would probably be similar in cost.

Slamming the lathe to a stop, I would be less concerned about the motor and more concerned of the longevity of the gear train/drive. There is a lot of momentum in the system, a mechanical brake slammed on at speed generates a lot of braking force and something would eventually break. VFDs you can control both the time an slope of the braking rate, so would be a bit gentler on the system. I normally use 3 second braking with VFDs, 1 second only for slow speeds or emergency braking.

I had thought of 3 phase and VFD etc., and even though I have 3 phase available I decided against it, I could yet go that way but just looking at alternatives.

The brake would rarely ever be used. it is strictly emergency use only. Just thinking out loud.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
For the brake an electric solenoid with a brake band should work. Some of the electric MOWER clutches do brake the belt to stop the blades or other moving parts. You don't know if it will or don't work if no one tries to use one. I'd be careful with sudden stops and full speed starts. More damage will happen if done often. In my opinion anyway.
Just had another thought how about the manual clutch used on the big old singer motors , they held up well and easy to service .

Back