fitting chuck to back plate, help needed

I'm not sure turning it screwed on backwards is the best way . I think I'd use a face plate or four jaw chuck and indicate it in as close as possible . Any cuts not square and concentric will show up when machining it to fit the chuck . Just my thoughts , the material really doesn't matter when you cut it you'll know. Cast flakes , steel makes curls , cast steel will do both at times and be shiny . Don't use coolant on cast iron

I'm not sure turning it screwed on backwards is the best way . I think I'd use a face plate or four jaw chuck and indicate it in as close as possible . Any cuts not square and concentric will show up when machining it to fit the chuck .

When I did mine, I made a bushing to slip over the spindle nose and just long enough to cover the unthreaded portion. That way, the back plate had something perpendicular to the spindle axis to register against when threaded on backwards.

is the dust from the cast iron a problem? Or just a mess?

When I did mine, I made a bushing to slip over the spindle nose and just long enough to cover the unthreaded portion. That way, the back plate had something perpendicular to the spindle axis to register against when threaded on backwards.

I did the same thing with mine and it worked great.

is the dust from the cast iron a problem? Or just a mess?

it is so fine it is very hard to clean up, and will sit in little scratches doing its dirty work (pun intended) over a long time. Best way to ruin a machine - second only to getting fine emery cloth residue on the ways and not cleaning them!

Back