The toothed bar to make the pulley's, and the belts, have arrived, I am waiting for the bearings and oil seals,
The two bulkheads that make the gear and belt chambers are in the basic stage waiting for the bearings.
While waiting for the bearings to arrive I have made a start on the plate that provides the space for the belts to run in. because this requires space to bore
through the plate I have used the casing as a spacer. So set up the rotary table put on the jig, then the bulkhead, and the case, and finally the spacer blank.
With fingers firmly crossed centred the work. ZERO on the co ax could hardly believe my eyes, Hang on maybe i have just centred the last plate and the
RT is off a mile, SO turn the RT round ZERO movement. Now I know why I made the Jig's.
I am now on the process of boring out the space for the lower pulley's. by the time I have finished not a lot of this plate will remain.
Made a start on the gears today this blank is 1mm oversize at the moment. I will make one first then do the other four in a batch, the crank gear is a one off and has to be made on a mandrel, all are 25t No 1 module.
Continuing with the gears I machined the outer end of the shaft to size including the area that takes the 5mm ID bearing. the inner end of the shaft is still oversize to provide support during gear cutting, this is then fitted into a mandrel then the ER 25 that fits the dividing head. all this is necessary to provide room for the cutter to pass through the gear without crashing into things.
I think it's time to try and cut teeth on it.
Well I cut the gear yesterday!!! and ended up with a trashy gear with pointy teeth. THREE days wasted.
What did I do wrong.
Gear 25 t
Blank 27 mm
Full tooth depth 2.25mm
Set up spot on.
Yesterday evening was a disaster, plus I managed to upset the wife ???
Today Took the wife shopping.
Got to thinking that the only other thing could be the cutter,
NOPE, cutter No 5 is correct and number is stamped on one side and engraved on the other.
But it don't LOOK right
Rummage in the scrap box and find a piece I can cut a 16 t gear on.
Set it up and cut a Perfect 16t gear??!"$=.
This thing is a number 7 ??!!"&## Now i am trying to calm down before contacting the vendor.
Four days wasted----material---- God only knows how many years of my life --- and cost of shopping ?
We will see what he has to say.
Your thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks for the info it may come in useful, the vendor, after five email's agreed to replace the cutter , then next day told me he had run out of stock??
so I have to wait for the next batch.
So I will continue with other work the mount/rear plate has been roughed out, I now have all the plates for the rear of the motor.
I can now start cutting the seating for the bearings and the clearance for the gears. the scrap gear will be used as a dummy shaft to check alignment.
With the plates stacked together you can see the slot that the belt will come through, The final position of the tensioner rollers will wait until I have the cylinders assembled. then the waste areas of the mount plate will be removed.
Now we can return to the bulkhead, machine out the bearing housings and the reliefs to take the gears, the flip it over and machine the step that moves the bulkhead inside the case.
After a trial set up I found that I had not cut the housings quite deep enough, this made life a little awkward because machining the step removed the jig location, but with the bulkhead fitted into the case the assembly can be fitted onto the jig and the job done.
Further work done, I have been out of the shop for a while with health issues but the rear bulkhead has had the bearing housings machined
The accessory shaft outboard bearing is in place and a temporary head gasket of the correct thickens.
The outer flange of the cam sprocket that takes the small magnet for the ignition trigger is in place, it is independent of the cam sprocket to adjust the timing. the pick up will sit between the belt under the sprocket.
Moving along I have been cutting the top fins on the cam boxes and the heads and tapping some threads to ensure the assembly is correct.
Now I have a support we can begin to see roughly what it will look like.