[4]

Five Cylinder Radial With Ohc

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
The videos work great. Nicely done! :)

kvt

Active User
very nice work and nice video. Just waiting to see it all go together.

D

Deleted member 120

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Latest news,
The toothed bar to make the pulley's, and the belts, have arrived, I am waiting for the bearings and oil seals,
The two bulkheads that make the gear and belt chambers are in the basic stage waiting for the bearings.

P1013363 (2).JPG

Brian.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Love the assembly/project box! :)

D

Deleted member 120

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
The box was one of those lucky finds in the local supermarket Bill ,keeps everything neat and tidy.

Brian.

D

Deleted member 120

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
While waiting for the bearings to arrive I have made a start on the plate that provides the space for the belts to run in. because this requires space to bore
through the plate I have used the casing as a spacer. So set up the rotary table put on the jig, then the bulkhead, and the case, and finally the spacer blank.
With fingers firmly crossed centred the work. ZERO on the co ax could hardly believe my eyes, Hang on maybe i have just centred the last plate and the
RT is off a mile, SO turn the RT round ZERO movement. Now I know why I made the Jig's.
I am now on the process of boring out the space for the lower pulley's. by the time I have finished not a lot of this plate will remain.

P1013365 (2).JPG

P1013366 (2).JPG

Brian.

D

Deleted member 120

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
After drilling the holes the ways for the belts are milled these are tapered to match the belt.

P1013367.JPG

It was not possible to cut all the way through without damaging the casing so the plate was flipped over to join up the slots.

P1013368.JPG

This is how it looks so far more work to do.

P1013369.JPG

Slowly slowly Brian.

D

Deleted member 120

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Made a start on the gears today this blank is 1mm oversize at the moment. I will make one first then do the other four in a batch, the crank gear is a one off and has to be made on a mandrel, all are 25t No 1 module.

P1013353 (4).JPG

Brian.

D

Deleted member 120

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
At last the bearings have arrived. the top two are for the camshaft drive gear.
and the big ?? ones are for the crank extension/sun gear.
P1013354 (3).JPG

Now I can get on with crank case plates and the gears.
Brian.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Without the pencil for scale, I would not have realized the true size of those things. Your 'big' bearings are not so big Sir... ;) LOL

D

Deleted member 120

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Continuing with the gears I machined the outer end of the shaft to size including the area that takes the 5mm ID bearing. the inner end of the shaft is still oversize to provide support during gear cutting, this is then fitted into a mandrel then the ER 25 that fits the dividing head. all this is necessary to provide room for the cutter to pass through the gear without crashing into things.
P1013356 (3).JPG

P1013355 (2).JPG

P1013357 (4).JPG

I think it's time to try and cut teeth on it.
Brian.

D

Deleted member 120

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Well I cut the gear yesterday!!! and ended up with a trashy gear with pointy teeth. THREE days wasted.
What did I do wrong.
P1013359 (2).JPG

Gear 25 t
Blank 27 mm
Full tooth depth 2.25mm
Set up spot on.
Yesterday evening was a disaster, plus I managed to upset the wife ???
Today Took the wife shopping.
Got to thinking that the only other thing could be the cutter,
NOPE, cutter No 5 is correct and number is stamped on one side and engraved on the other.
But it don't LOOK right
Rummage in the scrap box and find a piece I can cut a 16 t gear on.
Set it up and cut a Perfect 16t gear??!"$=.
P1013360 (2).JPG

This thing is a number 7 ??!!"&## Now i am trying to calm down before contacting the vendor.
Four days wasted----material---- God only knows how many years of my life --- and cost of shopping ?
We will see what he has to say.
Your thoughts are appreciated.
Brian.

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Not that its going to make you feel any better but I have heard of the Chinese cutters having the wrong cutter number on them.

Greg

D

Deleted member 120

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Hi Billy.
Thanks for the info it may come in useful, the vendor, after five email's agreed to replace the cutter , then next day told me he had run out of stock??
so I have to wait for the next batch.
So I will continue with other work the mount/rear plate has been roughed out, I now have all the plates for the rear of the motor.
I can now start cutting the seating for the bearings and the clearance for the gears. the scrap gear will be used as a dummy shaft to check alignment.
With the plates stacked together you can see the slot that the belt will come through, The final position of the tensioner rollers will wait until I have the cylinders assembled. then the waste areas of the mount plate will be removed.

P1013365 (3).JPG

P1013366 (3).JPG

Brian.

D

Deleted member 120

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Now we can return to the bulkhead, machine out the bearing housings and the reliefs to take the gears, the flip it over and machine the step that moves the bulkhead inside the case.

P1013367 (2).JPG

After a trial set up I found that I had not cut the housings quite deep enough, this made life a little awkward because machining the step removed the jig location, but with the bulkhead fitted into the case the assembly can be fitted onto the jig and the job done.

P1013368 (2).JPG

Case with bearing and trial gear fitted.

P1013370.JPG

Next is the oil seal cover.

Brian.

rwm

Active User
I think I speak for everyone when I say, that's ridiculous....

Groundhog

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I'm really enjoying following your progress on this engine. From the pictures the quality of machining seems terrific. Thanks for recording it along the way.

D

Deleted member 120

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
A quick lash up with the belt and pulley's looks good, the slackness in the belt is due to having no head/
base gasket's or belt tensioner.

P1013383.JPG

Next job is to bore the outer bearing housing's in the cover plate and determine the position of the belt tensioner.

Brian.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Still here watching Brian, beautiful work as always.

"Billy G"

D

Deleted member 120

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Further work done, I have been out of the shop for a while with health issues but the rear bulkhead has had the bearing housings machined
The accessory shaft outboard bearing is in place and a temporary head gasket of the correct thickens.
The outer flange of the cam sprocket that takes the small magnet for the ignition trigger is in place, it is independent of the cam sprocket to adjust the timing. the pick up will sit between the belt under the sprocket.

P1013395.JPG

P1013397.JPG

Looking good. Brian.

D

Deleted member 120

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Moving along I have been cutting the top fins on the cam boxes and the heads and tapping some threads to ensure the assembly is correct.
Now I have a support we can begin to see roughly what it will look like.

P1013398.JPG

P1013399.JPG

One step at a time Brian.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
To get to the end of any journey you start with the first step and take it one step at a time from there. That way you miss nothing along the way.

Stellar work Brian.

"Billy G"

Dataporter

Active User
Oh wow Brian, too cool! Now there is one part that will bring it all together. I'm waiting to see that part... Can you guess what it is?

Dave

D

Deleted member 120

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Just must be the master rod Dave but that seems a long way off yet. But we will get there in the end.

Brian.

[5] [7]