Five Cylinder Radial With Ohc

Next stage was to make the jig base the centre hole for the spigot and the 90mm register are machined without altering the setting to ensure concentricity
the photo shows the adaptor ring in place.

To ensure radial position is maintained so 0° is always in the same place I made a set of T nuts to fit the rotary table without any slop so the jig cannot move
radially.

P1013119.JPG

P1013120.JPG

Slowly Slowly Brian.

Great work Brian. As I said, the slightest mistake here and all goes wrong. That's close enough will not work here. Misalignment here will throw everything off later. Sloooow is the only way.

"Billy G"

Hi Billy
You are so right , I am trying to address the problems before they arrive. the design of this radial is so different to the single cylinder natural gas engine
in that design room was made to accommodate errors that may be made by first time builders, but this one just has to be right first time , and the jigs will go a long way to ensure that accuracy is maintained.
I have ordered a Co Axial indicator for the mill so that will help.
Still a long way to go before the first chips for the engine are made. but the time spent preparing will be well worth the effort.
Brian.

The jigs are now complete the second jig takes the cylinders or the heads. both jigs fit the lathe and rotary table.

P1013133.JPG P1013132.JPG P1013135.JPG

Slowly slowly Brian.

OHC Radial....Kewl.

From an amateur mechanic: The length of unsupported timing belt will be a problem. A tensioner on one side will definitely help. But, I suspect you'll need a fixed idler on the other side to keep the belt from tearing itself up against the covers.

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome is near where I live and I have visited there several times. They still fly WWI era restored and replica aircraft. The early radials not only spun the cylinders with the crankshaft firmly bolted to the firewall, they were often two-stroke, using caster oil mixed with the gasoline.

Thanks for your comments Mike, I have always wanted to go to Rhinebeck, I know the artist that designs the poster's etc.

When you find yourself on this side of The Pond, check their schedule. They run shows several times a year and the museum is open most weekends during the more clement months.

I've spent wayyyy too many hours in that hanger...

At last I have ordered the material for the cylinders so a start can be made.
I think that asking the 7x12 to cut all the fins with a parting tool is a bit OTT so I have ordered a slitting saw and will cut them on the mill
So things are on the way heads down for a long haul. I look forward to your comments.
Brian.

What material are you using for the cylinders, Brian?
Will you use a rotary table to cut the fins on the mill?
Why not use the slitting saw on the lathe in place of a parting or grooving tool?

BTW I have 90% of the materials needed to make the Dark Lady... Now I just have to find the time!

Back