Five Cylinder Radial With Ohc

Hi Dave
the material is EN1A (low carbon steel) but my suppler is trying to get me leaded steel Its the best for easy cutting.
I will be using the RT, and the jigs I made, to cut the fins. I can see what I am doing better on the mill as its nearly at eye level.

While I wait for the material I am working on the design for a triggered strobe light to dynamically balance the rotating mass,
Not easy for me as my electronics knowledge is of the stone age.
Brian.

At last the material is on it's way Possibly next Thursday will see it on the bench. The material for the cylinders and the heads I just cant wait.
I have not been idle during this time The pay pal has been working overtime acquiring the tools required. an I have spent countless hours
getting the drawings up to scratch. the final refinements to ensure that the engine can assembled and things don't interfere with each other.
I am now up to my armpits is drawings, It looks as though the final revision will be like this.
img172.jpg
Well not quite but you get the idea, what's 90° between friends, Just longing to get started .

Brian.

It's arrived now the real work starts, that's the winter taken care of, it's Shop time. :)
Brian.
P1013173.JPG

So it's time to make a start and try out the jigs, first the spigot has to be turned ad a hole for the draw bar drilled. the base flange was also cut. oversize to provide a good location.

P1013178.JPG

The blank was then moved to the mill and set in the jig to have the retaining bolt holes drilled
see picture below I somehow missed it out must be out of practice.

The cooling fins can then be cut.

P1013180.JPG

The jig was then moved to the lathe to rough bore .

P1013183.JPG

And the fins given a taper.

P1013184.JPG

That's all for now. Brian. P1013179.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Brian, looks like you are having fun!! I've got to get back in my shop. I have nearly all the materials for my Dark Lady clock . (BTW, I bought the plans from Brian). I just haven't found the time...

That's a great way to cut the cooling fin grooves! I have to remember that.

Keep those chips flying!
Dave

The cylinders will be put to one side for now while I wait for the hone to arrive in the post.
Meanwhile I am going over the drawings for the heads yet again to ensure all is OK before starting to make chips.
This is the job that gives me the twitches, so many dimensions and angles.
Slowly --Slowly. Brian.

As usual Brian, very, very nice work. I'm camped on both this and Bill's rail gun thread. These threads should be required reading for those who like to rag on 'import' machines. ;)

Thanks for the nice comments Bill I am happy to have you along for the ride.

The next stage is to form the combustion chamber. this is a right ------ to get the radius correct and still hold the diameter and depth
but one down four to go.
P1013214.JPG

Brian.

Back