Five Cylinder Radial With Ohc

Thanks Bill I failed to make it public , hope it's OK now.

Wow Brian, Very nice work looking forward to the rest of the build. thomas s

Thanks' Thomas,
The next operation is to drill the inlet and exhaust tracts, slightly undersize until the bronze valve cages are fitted.
The inlet is straight forward being radial to the head.
P1013195 (2).JPG

But the exhaust is offset from the centre line I must have checked the drawing's and the settings of the mill a dozen times before putting the cutter to the metal
but all was ok. and once the first is done it's only swapping things on the Jig to do the rest.

P1013199.JPG
Spot face first.

P1013203.JPG
Then centre drill and up in two stages.

P1013204.JPG

Phew am I glad that's done for the moment.

Brian.

The next stage is to bore the guides for the cam followers I found this a bit hard on the nerves. so I will do one a day.
Happily the jig saves all the set up time . Just fit the head, and bore the first guide ,turn the RT 180° and bore the second.
P1013196 (2).JPG

P1013198 (3).JPG

Plodding on. Brian.

I'm impressed Brian. I can't believe that you haven't made one or more spares of these complicated parts.

I've never made anything that complicated, but the complicated parts I have made, I tend to make at least one extra to practice the new cuts in case I screw up and ruin one in set up or execution.

Hi Franko.
If you look back when the material arrived you will see I have 6 pieces of each material. but I see no benefit in cutting into the spare piece effectively ruining the material and doing 1/6 more work than I need to. Hopefully at the end I will have some spare material to add to my stock.
If I need to I try to practice as I go, taking finishing cuts before I have the part to size. this way you know what is coming.
It's just my way of working.
Thank you for your interest in my project Brian.

That makes sense. I suppose it has a lot to do with experience. I only make practice pieces when I'm making a part that requires cuts I've never tried before, especially parts with lots of cuts and set-ups. But, in the scheme of machining experience, I'm still fairly new at it.

When I did my 5 cylinder engine, I did make at least one extra of almost every part, thinking I might mess one up somewhere along the line, especially the parts with lots of operations on them. I ended up with at least one extra of almost every part. I did pick the best looking and or fitting parts to assemble the engine. I keep the extra parts in a plastic box near the model. The nice thing about that is, when someone expresses interest in the model, how it was made or how it works, I can pull out the extra pieces and they can see how the parts look unassembled.

I worked my way through college in a "job shop" machine shop. We would make tens or hundreds if not thousands of the same parts. Labor was expensive, the materials were relatively cheap. So when we did a setup for an operation, we would get it pretty close, make the cut, measure the part, make adjustments, cut another, adjust if necessary and start the run. We'd keep a few of the setup scrap parts to set up the next step. With the turret lathes and automatic screw machines we had, that was really the only way to do it. Now, as a hobby, the material is expensive and the labor is cheap!

Back