Five Cylinder Radial With Ohc

Now is time for an admission I am so frightened of making a error that I check everything I do in as many ways as possible
So when I started to make the jigs for this project I was worried about errors when spacing the fins on the barrel and the head
so I made a small test piece that when placed on the surface of the slitting saw located in the previous cut so that every time I
changed the settings I had a tool to prove it was OK.
Today was the day I was setting the saw to 21.6mm depth after getting it on the money I slavishly applied my tool and CLUNK.
it refused to go in the slot. Horrified I checked the settings, And I found I had been so intent on getting the .6 correct I had
inadvertently set to 20.6 mm.
Now you may say that ,surely you would have noticed that, yes but probably, only after I had cut about 1/4 of the cut One tends to get a
bit over confident when doing repetitive work
So 15 minutes making the tool, Saved two days making a new head.
P1013210 (2).JPG P1013209A.JPG

Brian

The last radial fins have been cut leaving only the fins on the top of the head to be cut at a later date
The top two fins are cut to twice the depth of the others being clear of the ports and clamping force from the cylinder bolts ETC.

P1013213.JPG

P1013212.JPG

I think the mill might be due for a clean??

P1013215 (2).JPG

P1013216 (2).JPG

Slowly slowly Brian.

Those look good and thanks for the tip on making tools to save you from making a mistake.

Back