Five Cylinder Radial With Ohc

And a Happy New Year to you as well Brian. And to all the members here also!:)

A shrink fit experiment, trying to determine the best way to shrink fit the bronze valve cages and the allowance necessary.
Two samples one of bronze (Quality unknown) and the other of 6082 aluminium both 5/8" dia.
The ambient temp 19°c. both pieces measured and true size recorded.
The bronze was placed in the freezer for 24 hrs at -19 °c on removal no change in size was recorded.
The 6082 was placed on a electric hot plate for 15 min's on re measuring it had increased in diameter .005"
It seems to me that .003"interferance may provide a tight fit and ease of fitting .
Brian.

And after the inlet flange area comes the exhaust.
So far the 357 gram blank has been reduced to 208 gram and more to be removed yet.
I am sure you will be sick of looking at the same piece buy the time the head is finished.:apologize:

P1013222.JPG

The five heads showing the main areas of work.

P1013223.JPG

Brian. :dancing banana:

The bronze is due this week, also I found that I have the need for a internal mic." Well I do don't I" so that is due in the post tomorrow.
While I am waiting I have made a seating cutter for the valves, from drill rod , turning the stem down from 1/2 " to 3mm was a bit buttock clenching
but we got er done as they say.
P1013227.JPG

P1013228.JPG

P1013233.JPG

Slowly slowly Brian.

The bronze is in the depot I will have it in my grimy little hands tomorrow
Brian..

seat cutter looks nice. IT almost looks like you could have drilled it and pressed or interference fit a small shaft into the cutter if you had to. In fact it reminds me of one that I use to use but it was designed where you put a rod in the valve guide, then it spun on that to cut the seat then you removed it then put on the second one for a dual angle cut on the seat. but that was over 35 years ago that I did that.

I know the very thing you are talking about Ken my son probably still has mine including a throat cutter probably last used on the rebuild of his Healy
100/6 .
The material for the Cages/Cam boxes/Cams and valves are now in my possession so it's time to move on.
The first valve cage is ready to fit, final machining to be done after fitting in case there is any distortion.
I will make the other tomorrow each is matched to the head :003" interference.

P1013236.JPG

P1013234.JPG

Brian.

Back