Five Cylinder Radial With Ohc

Time for a rest and catch up on all the jobs I have been putting to one side, or simply ignoring.
And think about ordering the materials for the next stage.
So if I don't post on this thread for a while don't fret I will be back.
Brian.
P1013328.JPG

P1013329.JPG

Brian, It looks nice, I was beginning to wander it you had stopped for the summer, since had not seen any more on the progress, for a little while. Hope you get caught up and your materials come it ok. This is an interesting build,
Will continue to watch for when you start in again.

I am off to Scotland next week to see the grand children and teach them how to run the 32x40 gas engine.
I will also be collecting the material for the crankcase and gears of the Radial, ready to start work next winter.
Brian.

Hi all
Back from the holiday with loot in the baggage, this is the material for the crankcase ----crank case bulkhead-----gear case ---belt case- ---- rear bulkhead-- and the gear shafts,
I think this will keep me occupied for the coming winter.

P1013331.JPG

Brian

Wait, you had to go all the way to Scotland to get your materials. What US stuff is not good enough.
Welcome back and looks like you will have fun.

Hi all
Ken. for the record I live in Sicily in the south of the island only 80 miles across the Med from North Africa (Tunisia)
so the U S is a long way away. Locally it is hard to find material , On mainland Italy you can get a ton of anything but not six inches, so I usually order from the UK and suffer the postage.
The temperature has been to high for me to venture outside and the coolest place is the workshop so I have been starting on the crankcase. bulkhead. . the first job was to make a reference surface. the piece is to large to go in the lathe. and only fitted in my Cheepo mill vice after removing the jaws. but in the end we got it done.P1013339.JPG

Next stage was to flip it over and mark the centre.

P1013332.JPG

The centre was punched then the mark enlarged with the Archimedes drill. this method allows you to correct any error if necessary

.P1013333.JPG

The job was then transferred to the mill and centred with the Co Axial indicator ready for drilling and boring to fit the spigot on the Jig.

P1013338.JPG

That's it for now maybe a little tomorrow

Historical Note
Archimedes lived in in the port of Ortega in east Sicily and was killed when the Romans besieged the city.

Brian.

Now I see why you purchase things any time you go somewhere. If you had to pay the postage on I can really see it., I was stationed in the UK for a while, and the postage was something else at that time.
How thick is that bulk head going to be, It looks pretty beefy from the pics.

Back