Five Cylinder Radial With Ohc

Brian, Nice work and finish on the crankcase. I know it is a little ways away but I hope you explain how the valve timing is setup. thomas s

Hi Thomas
We are probably 2 years away from that point, but I will show all the set up as it goes together, each cylinder has to be set individually.
Brian.

Wow Brian, didn't realize this project will take that long. But something like this would keep me out of the local drinking establishments... :)

Found some temporary screws in the local hardware shop so we are now ready to fit the jig to the lathe and machine the other side.

P1013354 (2).JPG

Slowly slowly. Brian.

With the case on the jig the other way round, I have got the case to it's final external diameter and length.
The internal diameter is very near but I will wait until it cools down, then it will be fitted to the jig adaptor ring that is on the bed in the photo.
The radial position of the case is set by a small dowel pin, you can just see the hole at 11 oc on the case edge.

P1013355.JPG

Brian.

Next morning the ring is made a push fit in the case.

P1013356.JPG

The assembly is now fitted to the rotary table using the ring , small dowel ,and a draw screw
The mill has not been moved from when I drilled the first dowel hole so the hole on the opposite side is drilled in the same position.

P1013357 (2).JPG

Flip over again onto the new locating dowel and fit five large dowels into the main securing holes.
and drill the main case screw holes.

P1013359.JPG

The complete RT can now be turned vertical to machine the flats and locations for the cylinders.
Brian.

Back