Five Cylinder Radial With Ohc

Made a start on the gears today this blank is 1mm oversize at the moment. I will make one first then do the other four in a batch, the crank gear is a one off and has to be made on a mandrel, all are 25t No 1 module.

P1013353 (4).JPG

Brian.

At last the bearings have arrived. the top two are for the camshaft drive gear.
and the big ?? ones are for the crank extension/sun gear.
P1013354 (3).JPG

Now I can get on with crank case plates and the gears.
Brian.

Without the pencil for scale, I would not have realized the true size of those things. Your 'big' bearings are not so big Sir... ;) LOL

Continuing with the gears I machined the outer end of the shaft to size including the area that takes the 5mm ID bearing. the inner end of the shaft is still oversize to provide support during gear cutting, this is then fitted into a mandrel then the ER 25 that fits the dividing head. all this is necessary to provide room for the cutter to pass through the gear without crashing into things.
P1013356 (3).JPG

P1013355 (2).JPG

P1013357 (4).JPG

I think it's time to try and cut teeth on it.
Brian.

Well I cut the gear yesterday!!! and ended up with a trashy gear with pointy teeth. THREE days wasted.
What did I do wrong.
P1013359 (2).JPG

Gear 25 t
Blank 27 mm
Full tooth depth 2.25mm
Set up spot on.
Yesterday evening was a disaster, plus I managed to upset the wife ???
Today Took the wife shopping.
Got to thinking that the only other thing could be the cutter,
NOPE, cutter No 5 is correct and number is stamped on one side and engraved on the other.
But it don't LOOK right
Rummage in the scrap box and find a piece I can cut a 16 t gear on.
Set it up and cut a Perfect 16t gear??!"$=.
P1013360 (2).JPG

This thing is a number 7 ??!!"&## Now i am trying to calm down before contacting the vendor.
Four days wasted----material---- God only knows how many years of my life --- and cost of shopping ?
We will see what he has to say.
Your thoughts are appreciated.
Brian.

Not that its going to make you feel any better but I have heard of the Chinese cutters having the wrong cutter number on them.

Greg

Hi Billy.
Thanks for the info it may come in useful, the vendor, after five email's agreed to replace the cutter , then next day told me he had run out of stock??
so I have to wait for the next batch.
So I will continue with other work the mount/rear plate has been roughed out, I now have all the plates for the rear of the motor.
I can now start cutting the seating for the bearings and the clearance for the gears. the scrap gear will be used as a dummy shaft to check alignment.
With the plates stacked together you can see the slot that the belt will come through, The final position of the tensioner rollers will wait until I have the cylinders assembled. then the waste areas of the mount plate will be removed.

P1013365 (3).JPG

P1013366 (3).JPG

Brian.

Now we can return to the bulkhead, machine out the bearing housings and the reliefs to take the gears, the flip it over and machine the step that moves the bulkhead inside the case.

P1013367 (2).JPG

After a trial set up I found that I had not cut the housings quite deep enough, this made life a little awkward because machining the step removed the jig location, but with the bulkhead fitted into the case the assembly can be fitted onto the jig and the job done.

P1013368 (2).JPG

Case with bearing and trial gear fitted.

P1013370.JPG

Next is the oil seal cover.

Brian.

I think I speak for everyone when I say, that's ridiculous....

Back