Five Cylinder Radial With Ohc

Thank you for your comments JP
With my limited test equipment its difficult to say exactly how accurate the angle cube is , when I use it to set a angle I turn it around and see that I get the opposite reading.
When the cube first arrived I played with it on the surface plate with my combination square,setting the square with the cube then reversing them, and I am confident that this cube is accurate enough for any work I do.
On the mill you must know that the tram is correct and use surfaces that you have confidence in, after using this for four years I now know the spots on the mill casing that match the tram.
In my last video tapping the holes in the casing I used the cube to set the tapping jig .
Regards Brian.

Stunning craftsmanship Brian, you have the whole package. Engineering, humility, workmanship, and patience. Thank you for the excellent material you have shared.

Thanks for the info, hope to see a video of it running soon.

It is coming along nicely. I wish I could do that kind of work.

After a lazy summer spent sailing and fiddling with the boat. it's time to return to the shop with a clear mind, amazing how things look clearer after a break.
When cutting the gears the shafts where made long to allow tool clearance, so now I have to get them to length and arrange the retainer that will keep the assembly together.

P1013604.JPG

The jig that held the blank for milling was transferred to the lathe. and the parts assembled.

P1013605.JPG

The shaft was turned to length plus a extra .3mm for the nip, then the drilled and tapped to take the retaining screw This tightens in the opposite rotation to the shaft

P1013606.JPG

The drive pin for the pulley now has to be put in, it will be similar to the shear pin found in small outboard motors, retained inside the pulley.
timing is not important because all the timing will be done at the camshaft.
So it's back to the mill with a 1 mm drill and end mill.
Brian.

I'm still awestruck by this project, especially when one realizes the actual size.

Back