Five Cylinder Radial With Ohc

kvt -- The rod you are calling solid is known as the "Master Rod". All others in that bank are known as "Slave Rods" and are connected to the "Master Rod". The dreve shaft is connected to the "Master Rod" only.

"Billy G"

Thanks Bill, I though it was something like that. I will continue to watch, I want to see how the Slave rods attach also. This has been an interesting build to watch and learn from
Ken

Hi Ken
I hope this helps.

img006.jpg
The inner ends of the slave rods are similar to the small ends, fixed into a fork cut in the side of the master rod and fixed with a free floating pin that is held in place by two thin steel plates either side of the big end.
It is interesting to note that the big end on a radial engine is not subjected to reverse loads it is constantly being handed on to the next cylinder in the firing order and the power strokes overlap. This is even more so when the engine is supercharged as we then always have a positive pressure above the piston.
Brian.

Hi wileel
The main material I will need is the 6082 for the front of the crank case and the nose piece . and the 4340 for the crank.
it is not the cost of the material so much, but the postage, it often exceeds the value of the contents. One of the downsides of moving to the middle of the Mediterranean sea for retirement
Brian.

Brian, thanks for the info, the fact that it is a Fork on the big end makes sense. And I can see where it spreads the load to the other areas as well.

I just looked up a quote to send 30lbs to Italy via FedEx...WOW!!! I didn't see that coming...figured it would be pricy but DAMN!

I just looked up a quote to send 30lbs to Italy via FedEx...WOW!!! I didn't see that coming...figured it would be pricy but DAMN!
I sent a 4 ounce part to Fernballen in Sweden via USPS small flat rate box, the best rate I could find in the U.S. It was $35.25 and has no tracking after leaving the U.S. And, sure enough, it has been 20 days and he has not received it yet. Fedex and the others were well over $100 for the same 4 ounce package to Sweden.

Hi wileel
Thanks for the thought, You may be surprised that it means as much to me that you would even think of helping than if you sent gold bars.
Keep watching . Brian.

Back