Five Cylinder Radial With Ohc

Brian; you'll like this.

Brian and I have discussed this before. It's time for the $64,000 dollar question.

Why do radial engines always have an odd number of cylinders in their rows, ie. 3, 5, 7, or 9 ???

"Billy G"

I would guess its the timing of the cylinders. since it is radial the timing would be off if it were even numbered.

That is a good guess and close but there is a specific reason for it.

"Billy G"

Ensures that the firing is on every other cylinder. If there were an even number there would be break as it switched from even to odd number.
Two stroke radials can be even number of cylinders.

Bingo, that break occurs once in every revolution of the engine. As said, it insures the consistent running.

"Billy G"

No problem, I would love to help...maybe somehow we can pass a hat around.
Stinks, the logistics are making it hard to get materials, but I'll bet the view more than makes up for it. Looking at the shipping quote buying gold bars would be just as cheap (at least little ones).

Re the timing If you look at the drawing in post #274 and follow round with your finger going hit one miss one you will see the step over needed by the 4 stroke cycle.
It is possible to have radial engines with banks of even numbers of cylinders but you need 2 banks and fire alternate banks. think of 2 flat 4 motors sharing a common crank but 90 ° out.
Brian.

HI all If you are thinking Brian is dead you may be amazed that at 83 I am still going.
The radial is a runner but is now under development to get it running as i want . As i am now a new member i cant post links until i have 3 posts to my credit. but in time I will get up to date.

Welcome Back!

Can't wait to see pictures.

HI all If you are thinking Brian is dead you may be amazed that at 83 I am still going.
The radial is a runner but is now under development to get it running as i want . As i am now a new member i cant post links until i have 3 posts to my credit. but in time I will get up to date.
why couldn't you use your old account?

Back