Fix a typo on SS panel

Flyinfool

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a stainless steel panel that .063 thick made out of 304 ss.
The panel is all finished with hours of stamping and has been formed and welded into position.
I just noticed a typo. there is one character that needs to be removed and the new character stamped.
There is solid material behind the plat so the stamping will not be an issue.
I am looking for good ideas on how to "erase" the wrong character.
The surface is just the mill finish, nothing special.

My thoughts so far; (in no particular order)
All methods of erasing will get a light sanding over the entire plate to even out the surface finish and then restamp the correct character.
1. Touch it with a TIG welder.
2. A light peening with a small ball peen hammer.
3. Grind off the wrong character with a Dremel or similar.

Any other ideas????

I have corrected "surface errors" on aluminum plate by working from the back side with a a ball peen hammer to create a shallow boss on the front. Then I used filing and sanding to remove the error an level the surface with the surrounding metal and restamped. However, with 304, I would be concerned about potential work hardening.

I have a stainless steel panel that .063 thick made out of 304 ss.
The panel is all finished with hours of stamping and has been formed and welded into position.
I just noticed a typo. there is one character that needs to be removed and the new character stamped.
There is solid material behind the plat so the stamping will not be an issue.
I am looking for good ideas on how to "erase" the wrong character.
The surface is just the mill finish, nothing special.

My thoughts so far; (in no particular order)
All methods of erasing will get a light sanding over the entire plate to even out the surface finish and then restamp the correct character.
1. Touch it with a TIG welder.
2. A light peening with a small ball peen hammer.
3. Grind off the wrong character with a Dremel or similar.

Any other ideas????
One option is to just trademark the typo, and make it a reference to your new brand name :D

The tig-welding seems best to me, I don't see how peening would leave it looking anything decent, and I don't know what you mean by grinding. BUT a tig weld with the correct filler, plus a sanded finish would likely be the best outcome.

If you have a piece of scrap .063 SS, I'd suggest trying your technique on that first. Stamp something and try to change it. I'd be concerned that on SS that thin, the TIG will warp the SS enough to distort it.

What are the letters involved?

I would might over tig, smallest wire that you can find with smallest current so it "just sticks".

Depending on the letters it may be less involved.

A "P" can be made into an "R", on scrap you can stamp the wrong then overstate the right one to see what parts need to be filled and only fill those before restampting.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

It is actually a number that needs to be changed. A "0" needs to be a "5"

Use a chisel that's the proper height and go with Roman numerals, you'll never notice that 0 again!

Back