Fix for Broken Leadscrew Bearing 07403:

TinkerToy

Registered
Registered
I noticed that my bearing support, 10F-16, was cracked and I removed it for repair. Surprise, it melted when I tried to weld it! I felt real bad and looked and hoped for a replacement. I was glad to see that they were available, but a little pricey. So I decided to try to make one myself, it is not a highly stressed part and I had nothing to lose.
I cut the bearing housing off of the bracket and turned it down from a football shape to a cylinder. Then I made an aluminum ell bracket and attached it to the lathe. I put the bearing cylinder on the leadscrew and operated everything to find it's center. Then all I had to do was to pot the bearing cylinder into the ell bracket with JB Weld while everything stayed in place. This somewhat retains the stock look and uses the original bearing for its purpose. I hope the pictures explain it better than I did.
I love my lathe.
JD

LatheOnBox.JPG LeadscrewBearing (1).JPG LeadscrewBearing (5).JPG LeadscrewBearing (6).JPG

Nice work!

Looks like it will operate as well as a replacement part and you got to be creative as a bonus.

Walt

Sweet!
nice repair work!!!
the Zamak crumbles after a long time, or after a crash whichever comes first! :lmao:

While most people make that part more rigid than the stock part. It was meant to be the weak link in the drive train. In the event of a crash it breaks and the lead screw disengages and saves the drive train.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made Mine out of a 2X2 block of Aluminum.
I had the same Problem.
kd4gij Made a very good point.
This block is Designed too Lift & Break when (Human Error) some thing happens.
I used a Ball mill to cut the Break away Design.

While most people make that part more ridged tham the stock part. It was ment to be the weak link in the drive train. In the event of a crash it breaks and the lead screw disengeges and saves the drive train.

This is true, and documented in the Atlas manual. But I can't resist the temptation to comment:
Pay attention to your work and don't crash the lathe! Follow that rule and this is not a problem.

This is true, and documented in the Atlas manual. But I can't resist the temptation to comment:
Pay attention to your work and don't crash the lathe! Follow that rule and this is not a problem.

While I do agree, some times things happen we can't controll.

And of course the sacrificial right bearing idea only works if the left end of the lead screw isn't frozen into the hole it fits into.:whistle:

Robert D.

And of course the sacrificial right bearing idea only works if the left end of the lead screw isn't frozen into the hole it fits into.:whistle:

Robert D.

Verry true. That why it is a good idea to keep your machines in good working order at all times.

On You-Tube there is a video on just this subject by Tubalcain(Mr. Pete 222) #321

Back