FIX IT SO IT BRAKES

RIMSPOKE

Registered
Registered
I HAVE AN OLDER DiACRO 12" FINGER BRAKE THAT I LOVE TO USE FOR SMALLER SHEET METAL WORK .
IT'S A GREAT LITTLE MACHINE AND I HAVE ENOUGH FINGERS TO FILL IT UP TWICE .

ONE PROBLEM WAS THAT QUITE A FEW OF THE FINGERS WERE MISSING THE TOE CLAMPS
SO I HAD TO MOVE THEM AROUND FOR SOME SETUPS .
DSC_1941.JPG
DSC_1940.JPG

THE CLAMPS ARE DIRT SIMPLE & MADE FROM 1/4' THICK ANGLE IRON .
ALL OF THE FACTORY ONES ARE 3/4" WIDE SO YOU NEED 3 OF THEM FOR A SIX INCH FINGER .

I WANTED TO MAKE SOME REPLACEMENT TOE CLAMPS BUT WITH IMPROVEMENTS .
THE 6" 3" AND THE 6" OPEN FINGER ALL USED MULTIPLE CLAMPS .

MY IDEA WAS TO MAKE FULL WIDTH CLAMPS FOR THE WIDER FINGERS .
ANOTHER WAS TO PUT LIGHT DUTY SPRINGS AROUND EACH BOLT TO MAKE THEM EASIER TO INSTALL .

I BOUGHT A 24" PIECE OF 1.25 x 1.25 ANGLE IRON FOR 8 BUCKS AND CUT IT TO THE LENGTHS I NEEDED .
THE ENDS WERE MILLED TO .020" LESS THAN THE WIDTH OF THE FINGERS TO ENSURE THEY DON'T INTERFERE WITH EACH OTHER .
( THE FACTORY CLAMPS HAVE SAW CUT ENDS ! )

DSC_1932.JPG
DSC_1933.JPG

I MILLED ONE LEG OF THE CLAMPS DOWN TO 1.000 FOR THE VERTICAL SIDE OF THE CLAMPS .
THE HOLES WERE DRILLED .010 OVERSIZE TO BE SURE THE CLAMPS STAY LOOSE ON THE 5/16 BOLTS .

DSC_1944.JPGDSC_1946.JPG

ONCE DONE THE CLAMPS WERE DEBURRED , DE-SCALED AND PAINTED WITH HUNTER GREEN KRYLON .
I WENT THROUGH THE SAME PROCESS WITH ALL THE STOCK CLAMPS .

DSC_1948.JPG
DSC_1951.JPG

THESE WERE ASSEMBLED WITH NEW GRADE 8 HARDWARE AND THE SPRINGS THAT WORK WONDERFULLY .
THIS PROJECT WAS SIMPLER THAN MOST OF MY UPGRADES BUT WAS JUST AS SATISFYING .

DSC_1958.JPGDSC_1960.JPG
DSC_1959.JPG

The heck with the painted parts and hanging up and drying - what are those two minis out of focus in the background.
They look cool.

The heck with the painted parts and hanging up and drying - what are those two minis out of focus in the background.
They look cool.
Lol, saw those too, I think at least one is a BMW 600?

When I was growing up my Great-Uncle had 3 or 4 Isettas - They were not in that good of shape.
No one in the family could ever figure out why he had them or where he got them from.

No one in the family could ever figure out why he had them

Most likely he knew the " American Pickers " show would appear many years later ! ;)

Most likely he knew the " American Pickers " show would appear many years later ! ;)
THE PICKERS NEVER CAME LOOKING FOR ME .

I HAVE HAD QUITE A FEW MICROCARS AND CURRENTLY HAVE 3 ISETTAS , 3 MESSERSCHMITTS
A HMV FREEWAY AND ONE OF JUST TWO GOLIATH GOLI TRUCKS IN THE USA .

DSC_1923.JPG

Had a friend back in the 70's that converted an Isetta to Corvair power and a much widened rear axel with larger, wider tires. Very Big Daddy looking setup. You have some very nice Machines there. Mike

Had a friend back in the 70's that converted an Isetta to Corvair power and a much widened rear axel with larger, wider tires.
Very Big Daddy looking setup. You have some very nice Machines there. Mike

YES , I KNEW BILL SCHUTT TOO .
THE CORSETTA WAS ACTUALLY DONE BY A HIGH SCHOOL SHOP CLASS
BEFORE BILL OWNED IT .

Back