Fixin on the CAT one part at a time......

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Shop project category: Repair

It's still too cold to do much outside work on the old
CAT D4 but I can work on smaller parts and get ready
for when it warms up. Today's project was to
disassemble the shut off valve from the CAT and
build up the end of the shaft what someone(not me)
had rounded it down using probably a pliers. I had
to use heat to get it apart as the taper was tightly
stuck in place. Next was to add some brass to the
rounded off end, not too difficult with a torch and a
bit of flux. Next I had to machine the end round
in the lathe and then pretty much eyeball the flats
in the mill mounting the taper in it's socket and
jamming it in just tight enough for some light mill work.
I thought it turned out pretty good considering the shape
it was in previously. Sure, I could put in a brass ball
valve but at least the part will be original and quite
functional. The hard part on stuff like this is figuring out how
to hold the part!

P1020165.JPG
Here's a photo of the fuel valve(tapered) ready to assemble.

Next project: Fixin the pony motor.

Last edited:
Nice job. Those old taper valves work just fine. Might want to give it a little polish on the inside and outside tapers. Do you have the handle for it, or will you have to make one? Mike

Nice job. Those old taper valves work just fine. Might want to give it a little polish on the inside and outside tapers. Do you have the handle for it, or will you have to make one? Mike

Yes, I need to polish it up and make a handle too... another project!

Mike,

Here's the handle fitted to the valve. It started as a piece of round rod and a piece of flat iron, used an acetylene torch to weld it up. :)

P1020168.JPG
P1020167.JPG

Last edited:
Cat,
Do you know of any donor D4s in Minnesota?
I've got a friend who needs to replace the very badly worn track wheels (not sure that I have the term correct).
He has been unable to find good used ones and have begun to think about bushing these.
However, the OD is so beat up that we'd need to repair that as well.

Daryl
MN

Cat,
Do you know of any donor D4s in Minnesota?
I've got a friend who needs to replace the very badly worn track wheels (not sure that I have the term correct).
He has been unable to find good used ones and have begun to think about bushing these.
However, the OD is so beat up that we'd need to repair that as well.

Daryl
MN

There is a D2 up north of here but don't know if the parts are the same or not. I have bushed track wheels like that, not really too difficult
to do. You could look on YouTube for Squatch253 and leave him a message possibly. He is in Minnesota along the Mn-Wi border
north of MSP. The name of the town could be Deer Lake but not sure on that. He is big on older CAT dozers and road graders and
tractors. I can check a little around here over the next few days and see what I can come up with for you locally.
To answer your question, no I do not know of any D4 parts machines presently. Out of curiosity, what Model D4 does your friend have?

Bob- Copy: Bogies

Cat- I hope to see him Saturday and will be certain to ask him. I've seen the "bogies" but not the machine.

Daryl
MN

Bob- Copy: Bogies

Cat- I hope to see him Saturday and will be certain to ask him. I've seen the "bogies" but not the machine.

Daryl
MN

Daryl, Take along a tape measure and a camera too, might help identify stuff... Burt

Cat,
Would you consider PMing me your contact information?

Daryl
MN

Back