Fixing my HF Air Compressor

jfcayron

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My HF/Central Pneumatic 47065 compressor recently ran unattended a whole night with the pressure switch diaphragm broken. That means non-stop.
Once the switch was replaced, everything went fine for a while then it would not hold its pressure. The air was bleeding through the unload valve.
In fact, the Check Valve was the culprit with 2 little pieces of steel keeping it open.
After that was fixed, the compressor would hold its pressure but would not go over 20-30 PSI.
Time to go to the top! I took the head off, and sure enough the exhaust (high-pressure side) reed valve was broken.

Compressor repair_01.jpg

It is just a U-shaped piece of spring sheet.
I can only guess that the night long run made it overheat and harden, making it brittle.
The pieces of steel in the check valve were in fact splinters from it.

Of course, no parts are to be found @ HF, so as any machinist would do I started building replacements.
The spring stock and gasket material were obtained from McMaster-Carr.
Compressor repair_06.jpg Compressor repair_07.jpg
Compressor repair_04.jpg Compressor repair_05.jpg

The thin steel can be rough-cut with [cheap HF] household scissors. Just make sure to stay away from any pair that may belong to SWMBO.
Compressor repair_08.jpg
Getting the part to final shape is easily done with a Dremel tool; make sure to keep it cool enough not to harden it.
Compressor repair_09.jpg

Cutting the gaskets to shape is done on a cutting board with an X-Acto knife. Marking the cuts is easily done by hammering the material onto the head or cylinder with a soft mallet.
Compressor repair_16.jpg

The old gaskets were incredibly hard to scrape off, perhaps because of the excessive heat that started all this.
Compressor repair_03.jpg Compressor repair_02.jpg
Compressor repair_15.jpg Compressor repair_10.jpg
After a good cleaning, everything goes back together.
Compressor repair_14.jpg Compressor repair_13.jpg
Compressor repair_17.jpg
Compressor repair_18.jpg Compressor repair_19.jpg
The cylinder is somewhat scored, but nothing too bad. There is still good compression.
Compressor repair_12.jpg Compressor repair_11.jpg
The head bolts are Metric 8mm, grade 8.8. In the absence of manufacturer's instructions, 17 ft-lbs per standard tables was used to torque them down.
Total cost $27.64 in materials and a lot of experience gained.

Compressor repair_01.jpg Compressor repair_02.jpg Compressor repair_03.jpg Compressor repair_04.jpg Compressor repair_05.jpg Compressor repair_06.jpg Compressor repair_07.jpg Compressor repair_08.jpg Compressor repair_09.jpg Compressor repair_10.jpg Compressor repair_11.jpg Compressor repair_12.jpg Compressor repair_13.jpg Compressor repair_14.jpg Compressor repair_15.jpg Compressor repair_16.jpg Compressor repair_17.jpg Compressor repair_18.jpg Compressor repair_19.jpg

Slick projext for sure. After the rebuild did you run it for a while unloaded to kind of seat the new valve? Once you got it back together how is the max pressure? Be carefull and dont exceed the tanks rating if your pressure inproved, wouldn't want a catastrophic failure to hurt you or anybody else.

Bob

The valves are of the reed type, i.e. they lay flat on a flat surface. There is not much in terms of seating needed.
As for the pressure level, no worries. It is driven by the pressure switch, and there is a safety valve that will prevent any overpressure.
The repair merely returned the compressor to normal rated pressures.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Nice. I have a HF 2HP model that is of the horizontal type. It has done well for very low consumption tasks, but works awful hard to run a needle scaler or die grinder. I expect that it will die some day, even with proper maintenance....just because it is cheaply made. Good to know that these can be fixed, which is uncharacteristic for a lot of import stuff. Usually when it breaks it's cheaper and easier to buy a new one.

Well, it would have been easier to buy another one. :cool:
And if you count my hours at the trade rate, cheaper, too. :miner:

nice thread jeff,
i repaired a low power vacuum pump the same way with stainless shim stock
worked out perfectly!

Good job!, why send it out if you can fix it is a great attitude!

Nice job Jeff!

Good to see someone fix something that parts aren't available for. I have to say that I would have never thought to repair as you did. Good on you man.

Hi there,

I have the same problem. What is the thickness of the spring steel that you bought? I couldn't tell from the photo, and I don't have a convenient way of measuring it. Also, can I ask which gasket material you bought?

Thanks!
Ian

Hi there,

What is the thickness of the spring steel that you bought? Also, can I ask which gasket material you bought?

Hi Ian,

This is from my McMaster Carr order:
9014K61 Shim Stock Strip, Blue Tempered Spring Steel, .012" Thick, 6" X 25"
9470K26 Aramid/buna-n Gasket, 1/32" Thick, 6" X 6"

Hope it helps

Back