flat belt for an Old Logan

joebiplane

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
What's the cheapest way to replace a Flat belt on my Circa 1945 logan/ i really can't afford $ 100. for a belt from logan. i just want the re-furbed 820 to "run silent and run deep'
Joe

I just refurbed my SB 9 and swapped to a flat rubber automotive belt.

I took the old leather one to the autoparts store and they measured it up.

Had to pull spindle, back gear and drive unit shaft to get it on, but I was in the midst of a rebuild anyways.

Running it a little loose so that it slips as a safety measure.

It is very quiet and smooth.

I just refurbed my SB 9 and swapped to a flat rubber automotive belt.

I took the old leather one to the autoparts store and they measured it up.

Had to pull spindle, back gear and drive unit shaft to get it on, but I was in the midst of a rebuild anyways.

Running it a little loose so that it slips as a safety measure.

It is very quiet and smooth.

I am also in the process of a rebuild but would like a belt that can be "UN FASTENED" so I needn't tear the whole machine apart to change a belt
BTW... I do not have the old origional belt to measure it up. what are the belts i see on eguiptment that are made up of Links ???
Thanks
joe

I took the easy way out with the link belt type, installs in 2 minutes and it is quiet and does not slip, but the v-belt motor belt does, thank god. I did restore my lathe since the picture. HF sells these belts and they come at 60" long I think.
Paul

DCP_0453.jpg

I also used the HF link-belt on my SB 9".
I think the best answer is to pull the spindle and use a serpentine automotive belt, and I did buy a new one to install eventually. But for now the link-belt works very well. I may let the next owner install the serpentine

Back