Flat Twin

A friend jolted my memory the other day as we were discussing making gaskets.
I don't know why I haven't been making them this way on the vacuum table.
GEDC4809s.jpg

I made some extras just in case.
GEDC4811s.jpg

He also suggested that I paint the flywheel a brass color and it looks good.
What do you think?
GEDC4812s.jpg
Thanks Chris

Thanks for looking

Ray

Leave it bare.

Make a brass ring that you heat to allow it to fit over the steel.

Drill some holes to make spokes as bonus...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Are the brass bushings on either side of the crankcase for the cam followers?

tq60
Right now I will leave the flywheel like it is but I may cut some spokes later. All my other engines have spoked flywheels so I wanted a different look but thank you for your comment.

Papa Charlie
Yes the valve lifters will ride in the bushings. I am planing to make them from 0.250 drill rod with a socket in the end for the push rods.

I worked on the cylinder heads today and got them roughed out and test mounted.
I was shooting for a 6 to 1 compression ratio but with all the stack up errors I made it was some less. To remedy this I added a step to the cylinder head that sticks into the cylinder bore to raise the compression ratio back up to where I wanted it. The step is 0.040 long.
GEDC4818s.jpg

A overall view.
GEDC4817s.jpg

Thanks for looking
Ray

The addition of the heads really make it look like an engine,

That is some very high quality work you are doing there. I am very impressed. Love to watch a craftsmen at work.

I never really know exactly what the final product will look as most parts are designed as I go along. Sometimes at the end of the day I am satisfied with the progress and some days not so much. I do try to make all the parts look as attractive as possible and over time I am getting better at it.
Thanks all for the kind comments and likes as it is important to know others are watching and approving.

Ray

Back