Flat way repair

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This is a simple question that probably has a complicated answer. While examining a lathe bed that I'd earlier relegated to become scrap, I decided there may be some things I could learn from it. Also, I really like Atlas lathes, and I have the remnants of one. So, I brought the bed in and started looking it over. What I found was that the bed ways, near the headstock have been deformed. What I mean to say is that the ways have a lot of chipping and scarring on the 90 degree edges, and most of it resulted in raised areas on the inside of the ways. I started stoning them, after I was sure about what I was looking at. But then thought that if I continued, I may end up stoning it out of square. Most of the deformation is on the top inside, not the bottom inside. Then I had the idea that maybe I could just file a bevel, effectively removing the chipping, and most of the raised areas, and that would be ok, seeing as how I don't believe the inside vertical surface is a bearing point for the saddle on the Atlas lathe. Then I remembered that I don't actually have a clue what I'm doing, and probably better make mention of it here, before I do real damage, or wipe out a reference point that I'll be needing later. So what say ye?

As has been raised is discussion elsewhere this is an area of the ways that can be removed in a gap-bed lathe. Something has probably come loose at some time in its life and a loud ker-thunk or many little ones has occurred.
Sometimes on a non-gap lathe this area will be relived to enable a job to get done.
Wind the apron to the headstock and see if it will hit the affected area. If not file a nice bevel it will look nice and allow a fraction larger diameter to be turned on a faceplate. If the apron will run over it file the worst dings down and scrape to the same as the rest of the way.
If you can post some pics that would be great and you will get a lot of good advice especially from fellow owners.

Do not remove metal to make it look good, assuming you want to use the lathe rather than merely making it pretty. Remove metal only to take away the raised high spots. Leave the low spots alone for now. When I say high, I mean high relatively to the undamaged portions of the surface. Low spots (dings) cause no problems with the function of the lathe, they just don't look good. Portions that have been worn swayback from lots of use, or from abuse by not oiling it, or leaving a mix of oil and grit on the sliding surfaces, are just wear. Wear can be lived with, to more of an extent than many of us believe. The only real cure to wear is to move all the surfaces down to match the lowest surface, making them all parallel, but lower, to the original surfaces. That is a MAJOR project, or a trip to a shop that grinds lathes back to the original geometry ($$$), or deciding it is not worth it, and selling or scrapping the lathe bed. It works the same with all the other components. There is a real learning curve to being able to do this work yourself, without wasting your time and/or just making it worse. The first step is to quantify the existing wear and any other problems. You did the correct thing by stopping the stoning (first, cause no harm.) Get help and information before proceeding. This forum can and will help you with questions and learning. You will need to learn how to separate out the good advice from the lesser...

The top inside way corners (and the outside corners also) on a flat way machine don't really need to be knife edge sharp.
So yes, you could smooth the inside top corners of the ways there and it wouldn't affect the machine operation. My 12x36 Atlas has a few inside corner dings too, was thinking of doing the same thing to it.
Mark

Last edited:
Here’s some pictures. If these don’t seem to be informative, I’ll be glad to take different ones. To be clear, I never expected this bed to be functional again, and most of the parts to this machine are gone. I don’t think I’d ever be able to source the parts at what I sold them for. But the experience of trying to make it a whole and functional machine again scratches an itch I have trouble controlling. Thanks very much for all the advice so far! I’m loooking forward to more!

5E4CF383-94EE-48F9-AEEB-FDC2811B3875.jpeg

2F7F860E-A9D7-4861-A0B6-0F1A9125047C.jpeg

F8994C58-A179-462A-A260-EABBF05F1D79.jpeg

F317045D-411D-480A-B528-17AABC476631.jpeg

That is pretty rough, but not a deal breaker. The bigger issue is that you don't have the parts to put it back together. I would simply buy a complete project lathe in rebuildable condition, or one ready to use. That is no doubt less expensive and way less hassle than buying all the missing pieces to complete a lathe using the bed you have. Something to be proud of when it is finished. Still, your machine, you have to make the choices...

Well...maybe I could make a wood turning attachment for it. Then all I’d need is a tailstock. Never had much interest in wood turning, but I do have lots of files with no handles.

This is a lathe that can be returned to use, if you need a lathe. It would make an OK beginner lathe for someone who needs a lathe to start somewhere.

That’s great! That’s exactly what it was. I messed around with it for a few months, trying to find parts, fix things, etc. I used to tell my wife that I needed a lathe to fix this lathe. Lol.

Anyhow if you find that new guy that wants it, he can have it, so long as he promises the next owner will be a scrapyard. I’m not selling any more pieces to resellers with a wire wheel, a rattle can, and an EBay account. Haha

In all seriousness though, assuming a person was going to undertake this effort, what would you all suggest?

Back