Flea Market Vice Find (kurt Clone)

Very much like it more than likely the size difference may account for cosmetic differences. Bottom is different, made to swivel with the proper base.

His said 150 on it, which probably means 150 mm or 6", rather than the 4.5" one on eBay which has 100 on it, which is about 4".

And he got a handle with it.

Yes, I had thought the 150 (150mm) meant 6" but the vise only opens to 5". Does the 6" measurement mean width? I never checked.

That vise looks a knock off of a old Brown & Sharpe mill vise. Probable either made in Japan or Taiwan back in the 1970's maybe 1980's. I remember seeing those advertised in the old Big Joe catalog. It is definitely not a Kurt clone, not even close.

I found one just like that a while back. It was on a SuperMill , big old machine that was dropped at my buddies scrap yard . I never did figure out what kind of vise it was. It has "Japan" stamped in it in two places. I cleaned it up and it seems to work pretty well. Never did anything else with it .
Looks like the name is intact on the one on ebay but his pics dont show it well .
------------------------------------------------------
1Japan Vise.jpg 2Vise Rohachi name.jpg

3IMG_20160816_142159.jpg

Yes, that looks like it. Just mine is a 150 that one a 125 but all else looks identical.

Thank You,

That vise looks a knock off of a old Brown & Sharpe mill vise. Probable either made in Japan or Taiwan back in the 1970's maybe 1980's. I remember seeing those advertised in the old Big Joe catalog. It is definitely not a Kurt clone, not even close.

Yes, it is not a Kurt Clone, that has become obvious from the photos I've seen. Think of it as just terminology or nomenclature to signify it's a knock off of something. But, I'm happy to have it as its bigger than what I already have (biggest is about 3 1/2") and will be a great addition to my little shop.

I found one just like that a while back. It was on a SuperMill , big old machine that was dropped at my buddies scrap yard . I never did figure out what kind of vise it was. It has "Japan" stamped in it in two places. I cleaned it up and it seems to work pretty well. Never did anything else with it .
Looks like the name is intact on the one on ebay but his pics dont show it well .
------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 141131 View attachment 141132

View attachment 141133

I like the jaws on that. May have to add another project for my mill.

Back