Flexible eye pieces for my Microscope.

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My second hand stereo microscope didn’t come with eye cups / shields. Neither did the second set of objectives I got for it.

Thingiverse to the rescue! :grin:

Someone else had modelled a nice looking part, but the internal diameter that slid over the objective body was too large. So I imported the STL into fusion 360, modified the part to give the internal diameter I needed (31.4mm - .1mm undersize for a snug fit), sliced it and printed them out two pairs in flexible TPU filament.

They’re great... apart from the lime green colour. Only flex filament I had on hand. :p

0F0A0D08-BAD2-45EE-B2F8-1A170DB6E7D6.jpeg
7C2A68D5-C0F5-420E-BF0A-1BEED7AD67BF.jpeg
886C454E-7055-4417-918E-96FEBD61C0CC.jpeg

That looks like a Sparkfun circuit board under your 'scope. Nice eye cups, too Flustered

That looks like a Sparkfun circuit board under your 'scope.

It's a TI Launchpad XL actually - one of the parts for my upcoming attempt at recreating Clough42's Electronic Leadscrew:

Aha. Thanks for the clarification. And for some reason I inserted the wrong emoji, certainly didn't mean to imply "flustered". Apologies for any confusion it may have caused!

looks very nice @GreatOldOne !

pardon my ignorance, but what temperature and printing speed are you using to run the TPU?

i'm fascinated by how versatile these printers are!

I've got two pairs of objectives for the microscope - 6.3x and 25x. So when one pair is in the scope, I needed somewhere to keep the other to keep all the crud off them (the scope has a cover that it wears when it's not being used). So I designed a slip case to hold them. Pleased how it's worked out.

IMG_0365.jpeg
IMG_0366.jpeg
IMG_0367.jpeg
IMG_0369.jpeg

Back