Floating drill press vise a la Mr Pete

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
I've never looked at one close up but I assume the nut is just threaded normally, then the hole is bored again offset? But it then has to attach to the moving jaw or whatever loosley or free floating with some sort of spring to allow it to cam out or whatever. I'm sure there are videos of them online. I know one woodworker that I watch made something with a quick releasing nut. I forget what it was though as I haven't watched the video yet.

The quill stop & quick release knob versions should be much easier to make.
Was is this by any chance?

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
That's an ingenious design... definitely got me thinking how to scale it down.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I guess I should probably go & finally watch the video now. :)

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Oh wow, that's completely different than what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure the one on my bandsaw doesn't work that way & is much simpler but ultimately it gives the same result.

I had no idea the video was that old. And apparently I did watch the video & the vise build already according to my watched history. But I don't remember any of it (well the vise one I kind of do). :D

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
I need to watch Mr Pete's build videos again to see how it could be adapted.
I think it's possible. Just not sure I have the skills. Yet. :D

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
My rendition of the float lock vise. Quick, cheap, easy. Uses a 3/4" pipe clamp with extended jaws and T-bolts to lock the vise jaw and rod length. I use it on my Powermatic 1200 DP (anchor shown in pic 2). For a smaller DP it could be made with a 1/2" pipe clamp.
Aaron

DSCF4692.JPG DSCF4690.JPG

Shotgun

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My rendition of the float lock vise. Quick, cheap, easy. Uses a 3/4" pipe clamp with extended jaws and T-bolts to lock the vise jaw and rod length. I use it on my Powermatic 1200 DP (anchor shown in pic 2). For a smaller DP it could be made with a 1/2" pipe clamp.
Aaron

View attachment 362520 View attachment 362519
I was thinking of doing the same thing, except I have some Harbor Freight bar clamps.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock