Floating drill press vise a la Mr Pete

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Building my CNC plasma cutter has made me realize how much I dislike my cheap drill press vise.
I looked at a bunch of 4-5" models and didn't see what I was looking for. I nearly sprung for a 4" milling vise but the table on my Delta floor press is too small for that.
Then I ran across the floating vise as demo'ed by Mr Pete.

After watching the build series I decided to go that route.
Picked up some suitable stock on the weekend. Then started debating Acme vs threaded rod for the screw. Really wanted to do it 'right' so decided on Acme.
Looked around online and locally for a source, also debated cutting the rod myself.
The rod length is 12" which would be a bit springy to thread without a steady rest which I don't have.
@Dabbler pointed me at a great video by Joe Pi where he makes a steady rest out of phenolic to thread a tiny brass lead screw for his miniature lathe build.

Got a call back from a semi local supplier. I can get 12 ft of 1/2-10 Acme rod for the absolutely astounding price of $42. Yes, 12 feet for $42 I double checked. Twice. Needless to say the decision was easy!

Last edited:
Interesting vise. I think the only other YouTuber I’ve seen use one is Jere Kirkpatrick. Be interesting to see how it works out for you.

That is very true. Every single time I do a project I learn something. I would love to see a hybrid of this vise with a speed vise so no cranking. I’ve gotten spoiled by mine. But having all that range of travel to be able hold big or long things would be super handy. Mine only opens 3.5”.

David,
I haven't watched the video you linked (maybe later) but I want to comment ASAP.
I speak from experience as I have both types of float-lock vises.

The one pictured in the video link does not have a quick acting adjustment. In other words, you have to turn that crank about a million times to adjust from a 6" grip to a 1" grip. The becomes obnoxious real fast.

I have recently seen a full set of drawings for the quick adjust variant of the float-lock vise and I will look for them and get back to you.
Alternatively, you could incorporate a quick adjust nut (like used on quill depth stops) into your homemade version.

Something as important as a drill press vise should be dead easy and a pleasure to use (for safety's sake).

Edit: This is the quick adjust type and still available. Also, a Heinrich cam-lock type.

Last edited:
David,
I haven't watched the video you linked (maybe later) but I want to comment ASAP.
I speak from experience as I have both types of float-lock vises.

The one pictured in the video link does not have a quick acting adjustment. In other words, you have to turn that crank about a million times to adjust from a 6" grip to a 1" grip. The becomes obnoxious real fast.

I have recently seen a full set of drawings for the quick adjust variant of the float-lock vise and I will look for them and get back to you.
Alternatively, you could incorporate a quick adjust nut (like used on quill depth stops) into your homemade version.

Something as important as a drill press vise should be dead easy and a pleasure to use (for safety's sake).

Edit: This is the quick adjust type and still available. Also, a Heinrich cam-lock type.

Yes those are both really nice and a cool $500 North of the border :(

Back