Flood coolant delivery system for the surface grinder

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
This is an upgrade compared to what I had. The surface grinder came with the set up you see but I took it off.
I reinstalled it because there was no good place to stick the magnetic Noga holder for the coolant nozzle.
What I would like to do is add one of those multi tube fixtures like Oxtools and Robin Renzetti.
Those things put the coolant right where you need it. I find these plastic knuckle buggers a PITA.
If you made one or know where to find one cheap :) please let me know.

Attachments

• sg 1.jpg
    sg 1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 213
  • sg 2.jpg
    sg 2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 192
That's some serious plumbing Jeff.
I wonder if some bendable copper (I have no idea what the official name is) would be better than the flex thingy?
I'm curious about your pump and coolant tank setup. I'm still trying to decide what to do...

That's some serious plumbing Jeff.
I wonder if some bendable copper (I have no idea what the official name is) would be better than the flex thingy?
I'm curious about your pump and coolant tank setup. I'm still trying to decide what to do...
I posted my coolant tank and pump build.
I followed John York's genuine B&S basic design.

I have the same nozzle on mine. Haven’t used yet, does it not put out a good stream? Have everything plumbed and ready to go. I just don’t know if I wanna take the leap with coolant and corrosion/rust and checking the coolant etc.
I went with some brass tubing I had laying around tried to keep as compact and out of the way as possible. Yes snap lock line and fitting are a pain to remove that’s why you make sure of lengths before removing pieces. Snapping together ain’t so bad. What coolant are you using and how do you like it. I picked up some from McMaster called premier 600 syn coolant. It’s for grinding which I was told you should use grind specific ? Idk image.jpg
image.jpg

Please excuse the mess I’ve been making cabinets for the last couple weeks everything has a coat of saw dust even with covering all the machines.

The original coolant nozzle is made out of 1/2" OD steel tubing with a 90 deg. bend and the end contoured to fit the shape of the wheel.

The original coolant nozzle is made out of 1/2" OD steel tubing with a 90 deg. bend and the end contoured to fit the shape of the wheel.
That's what I'm talking about.
I did find a company that has something like that and also has the multi-tube set up.
Way too spendy.
You know, A guy could make a flare out of copper and solder it to the proper fitting. I'm not very artistic.
Cadillac, I have run the Rustlick oil/water based coolant and never have to worry about rust.
I took the chuck off not too long ago and there was no sign of corrosion anywhere.
The plastic flex arms are OK but it is very difficult to get the coolant exactly where you want it. In the end, it keeps the part cool.
If I hadn't seen other options I would be happy as clams.

Back