Flood Coolant Set Up Questions

Finally got some shop time today and installed the repaired BoB. Fired up the mill and it now works as it should. M3 and M4 work as expected. Here's a short video showing the spindle rotating CW then reversing. Looks like I need to look at reducing the lag between the spindle reversing and the Z retracting.

Attachments

• M3 - M4.mp4
    11.4 MB · Views: 10
How's the cycle coded? I'm just asking to see if the lag is in the code or in your VFD settings. I seem to remember you talking about a braking resistor - that should let you stop and reverse on a dime.

Good to hear you're up and running, by the way!

How's the cycle coded? I'm just asking to see if the lag is in the code or in your VFD settings. I seem to remember you talking about a braking resistor - that should let you stop and reverse on a dime.

Good to hear you're up and running, by the way!

The gcode file is attached. I reduced the dwell from .5 second to .25. I can tighten up the accel and decel VFD settings and see how that works out. I haven't done any CNC power tapping so I'm being extra cautious. Don't want to break taps and ruin my only piece of material.

Edit: Yes, I have a braking resistor.

Attachments

• Tapping Test Block.Setup 1 [Tapping Cycle].txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 5
I did not realize that it was possible to TAP using Mach3. The z-axis is tightly controlled but spindle speed, not so much. You don't have Acceleration control for instance on the Spindle speed. Looking forward to how this works out.

I did not realize that it was possible to TAP using Mach3. The z-axis is tightly controlled but spindle speed, not so much. You don't have Acceleration control for instance on the Spindle speed. Looking forward to how this works out.

I guess I'm going to find out. The floating tap holder supposedly takes up the variances in spindle speed vs. feed rate. Tormach has a white paper that discusses a few tricks on using a floating tap holder (attached).

Reading through the list of parameter settings for my VFD (Hitachi WJ200) it appears that I do have control of spindle speed acceleration and deceleration. I'll play with these settings and see how it works out.

Attachments

• TD10077_CNC_Tapping_Guidelines_0715A_WEB (2).pdf
    1 MB · Views: 1
It would be great to be able to tap on the Mill reliably. Good Luck !

I guess I'm going to find out. The floating tap holder supposedly takes up the variances in spindle speed vs. feed rate. Tormach has a white paper that discusses a few tricks on using a floating tap holder (attached).

Reading through the list of parameter settings for my VFD (Hitachi WJ200) it appears that I do have control of spindle speed acceleration and deceleration. I'll play with these settings and see how it works out.

Tom,

I've attached my parameters for my WJ200-SF15. It's working rather well for me. Please keep in mind that I have a different motor (2HP Marathon vector duty with an encoder and a belt drive). The accel/decel work great - it's fairly aggressive but doesn't trip the breaker.

Don't copy everything, but these settings are working for a similar setup.

PS - I'm using UCCNC, so I can do rigid peck tapping using the motor encoder and a spindle index. Way, way nice. Not going back to Mach3.

-Spumco

Attachments

• Mikini VFD Parameters V1.pdf
    82.4 KB · Views: 2
Tom,

I've attached my parameters for my WJ200-SF15. It's working rather well for me. Please keep in mind that I have a different motor (2HP Marathon vector duty with an encoder and a belt drive). The accel/decel work great - it's fairly aggressive but doesn't trip the breaker.

Don't copy everything, but these settings are working for a similar setup.

PS - I'm using UCCNC, so I can do rigid peck tapping using the motor encoder and a spindle index. Way, way nice. Not going back to Mach3.

-Spumco

Thanks for the info. I have to look but IIRC my accel and decel settings are 1.5 seconds. Our setups are similar. I also have a 2 HP Marathon Black Max vector duty motor and belt drive. No encoder though.

Finally had some time in the shop today. The lag at Z retract was due to the CCW Spindle Spin Up setting in Mach3. Changed it from 1 second to zero and no lag now. Here is a link to my media gallery showing the floating tap holder tapping six 1/4-20 holes in aluminum. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/gallery/albums/users/toms.24891/. I still need to fine tune the feedrate to reduce the amount of tension on the retract cycle but overall I'm pleased with the results.

That looks great. I guess this is hand coded

Back