Flood coolant

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I spent the day cleaning out the sump for coolant on my mill.So now it’s all cleaned up. What is a fairly inexpensive flood coolant? Does it come concentrated? KBC has some but they don’t have mixing instructions in the catalogue. I need about 5 gallons and didn’t want to spend $200. I wasn’t sure if you buy 1gallon to make 5?
Thanks
Martin

I spent the day cleaning out the sump for coolant on my mill.So now it’s all cleaned up. What is a fairly inexpensive flood coolant? Does it come concentrated? KBC has some but they don’t have mixing instructions in the catalogue. I need about 5 gallons and didn’t want to spend $200. I wasn’t sure if you buy 1gallon to make 5?
Thanks
Martin

Hi Martin,

The container will/should have mixing instructions on the label, although that may depend on the quantity.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a 5 gallon pail a few years ago and I've used most of it mixing it 20:1. I use it on the horizontal band saw, and seam to go through a lot of it there. The mill seams to waste a lot less.
My mill sump needs cleaned out too, not looking forward to it.

Greg

Back when I was using water sol oil the average mix ratio was 1 qt. to 5 gal . water . That was for lathe and mill . Another thing to do is have a dedicated wet vac. for the tramp oil , depending how you use your equipment the tramp oil can quickly build up . It is a good idea to get it off at least every other day . Also if you are not going to use the sump for a while it is a good idea just to turn it on and let it circulate .

Last edited:
All the coolant concentrates that I have ever seen/used are mixed 20:1, yes, 1 qt. to 5 gal. of water.

RustLick and Cool Mist both can be cut up to 30 to 1 and still give rust protection, well mostly. Almost all coolants will guarantee some corrosion under vises or in the innerds of a carriage on a lathe in my experience. For an occaisonal use hobby machine I much prefer mist to coolant except for my surface grinder where I really like flood for the cooling and keeping the airborne grit and dust down. Lots of plans out there for a no fog mist set up.

I use Rustlick 5050 mixed at 16 fl oz to 4 gallons of water. Too lazy to calculate the mixing ratio. I have no rust issues but it is not paint friendly.

I use Premere Synthetic Coolant 6009, sold by Tormach, running between 15:1 and 18:1. They have recently switched to DuraKut 4010 but I haven't switched over yet. My reason for using Tormach's product is that I can pick it up locally, so no shipping. I haven't experienced any rusting problems.
I monitor my concentration with a Brix refractometer and add water or concentrate to keep within limits.

Back