Flops n Flubs...

I know this thread is a bit aged but I thought I would throw in an experience. in 1988, i was attending college in central missouri, where Grizzly is now. I took a job working in the machine shop at the boat trailer factory of a large sporting goods company also based there. I was hired because I had been an apprentice fitter/ welder. it was a sweat shop, no other way to describe it, power cables all over the floors, filthy equipment, hanging steel coils constantly in movement and directly overhead with no warning. it was pretty basic, big shears, the press I ran, punches, notchers and everything to tape measure tolerances and TLAR so the welders could make it work.

the kid that ran the shear press was a pre-law major. we did not talk much, it was hot filthy work and a short break for a sandwich and coke.

since i didn't smoke, i just hung coil steel, set up my press per the blueprints and humped parts. on a good day, I could fill all their parts bins and run them out of steel.

one day, i heard a loud scream to my right and looked over to see half a hand with all 4 fingers attached drop in the waste chute. it was the pre law major. I knew what happened, the foreman had spread the bars on the safety fence apart so the could cut gussets from the scrap. the one time that kid and talked about the job, i told him there was no way I would do that but he was a new father and felt like he had no choice.

after lifeflight left, general manager called me over, said I had the three days ahead on parts and to run the shear. i said I would but no way I am sticking anything of mine past that guard. they said no problem, that was his choice. but I knew it wasn't.

i have been hurt on the job several times but that one always bothered me because it was unreasonably dangerous given the need and the available tools. on pipeline, i have been hurt and seen horrible accidents but pipeline construction is inherently dangerous over inhospitable terrain and unflinching schedules. given all that, the machine shop in missouri was probably the most dangerous place i have ever worked because no one had your back. it was dog eat dog and if you fell or failed, several were ready to take your slot.

Back