Fluxmaster 50 OCC Error

Ah don’t be discouraged. It’s easy once you’ve done it nothing to it. When you hit the up/down buttons you come to a screen that has # flashing like 00-00 or 00-02 or 05-03. The first set of # is the group the second set is the parameter. You change the number by the up/down buttons. And I believe you hold the enter button till the number stops blinking. So you would scroll to get the numbers to 00-00 hit enter then a number will be blinking either 1 or 0. Change number to 1 then push and hold enter. That parameter is now programmed to 1 not 0. And so on so on. Read the manual acouple times till you understand it. Took me like ten times and they say the teco manual is one of the better ones.

I screwed it up.
Now it goes about 5 rpm.
I don’t have a clue

When people run into problems with VFDs, it is often because a parameter is incorrect. I often recommend that they check and write down the current parameters and then do a factory reset of the VFD. With the FM50 this would be F25 = 020 which resets the default values for 60Hz.

I still maintain that there is no parameter for motor size/amps on this model. So if the motor nameplate amps exceed the VFD rated amps/kW the VFD will fault. This is a factor of the rated/actual motor amps vs. the VFD rated amps. There are two parameters that effect the acceleration load current and the short term overload. You can set F_13 = 05 which increase the torque compensation for starting torque, You can increase F_18 = 130% which is the short term (1 minute) overload, after 1 minute the VFD will fault if over 100%. I have attached a suggested parameter file, but I am doubtful it will change anything. In many cases a factory reset can help when people go too far down the rabbit hole changing parameters, but you need to know what you started with before you start changing parameters.

May review this video for programming, I also believe the default starting RPM is 5 Hz so this needs to be changed for the speed you want.

Attachments

• FM50 Program Parameters.pdf
    228.4 KB · Views: 2
I've got two of those FM50 drives. One on my 2HP 2J Bridgeport and one on my 2HP South Bend lathe.

I've never seen any error code on either. Maybe I'm just lucky. Here are my recommendations:

Do these tests/measurements with the VFD on full 60 Hz.

1- Verify that the drive is the correct size for the motor for BOTH HP and current. Just because the HP is rated the same doesn't mean that the maximum current rating is the same. Some older motors draw higher current for the same HP rating.
2- Check your input voltage. Mine is 240 volt single phase. Make sure yours is within the proper range.
3- Check the current draw on each line for both the input (supply) voltage and the output (3 phase) voltage and make sure it's in the proper range.
4- Check the output voltage and verify it is correct per the motors connections.
5- Make sure all connections are tight. This includes the motor lead connections for setting the proper voltage (230 vs 440). Loose connections will draw more current.

That should be a good start.

Others have suggested VFD settings so I won't go into them, but if you have a question about how I have mine set up for certain things I can check and let you know.

Good luck,
Ted

Before I go buy a tester to test for amp draw and current flow.
I have news.
The VFD plate shows this unit is for a 2HP motor. I may have found my "Over Current" problem.
I am attaching the Mill motor plate and the VFD plate.
Thank you for your help.
I need a new VFD don't I?
What is the most cost effective fix?
New Acer knee mill?

<< The motor plate says @220v 60hz, 3.5 amps---1HP--3PH
>>The VFD plate is more readable

motor.JPG

VFD Stats.JPG

Current should be fine since the VFD's maximum output current (7.5 A) is higher than the motor's maximum full load current (3.5 A) as long as the motor is wired for 220 volts. But, the only true test is to use a current meter to see what is actually being drawn by both the VFD and motor, since if there is a problem that's the only way to detect it.

As long as your VFD is rated equal to or higher than the motor you should be fine. So, if the motor draws less full load current than the VFD's maximum current output you should be fine as long as the output voltage of the VFD matches the input voltage of the motor. It's fine and probably even better that the VFD is rated a higher HP/max current than the motor. But again, the only way to tell the "actual" current draw and voltage output is to use a meter since the nameplate only specifies the design and rated values.

A current clamp meter is a very valuable tool to have in your tool box. I suggest you look into getting one or maybe you can borrow one.

Ted

Also check that the motor and the wires going to it are set up correctly for the voltage you want to use. The previous owner may have set it up wrong.

That's good, I have enough VFD!
I bet it's just a programming issue. Or wiring, or operator error.
Dang, I am way over my head on this one.
Thanks guys. I'll get it.

What is the most cost effective fix?
New Acer knee mill?

I'm liking that option :grin:

Sounds like programming or maybe a motor issue. The problems seemed to get worse after you properly grounded the system. That might indicate shorted windings in the motor. A quick ohms check with a multimeter might shed some light on the problem.

Back