Fly cutting

How big are these bolts? Are you cutting a flat on the bolt shank, or are you cutting the ends or head down? Unless the bolts are massive, a fly cutter is the wrong tool for that job.

For any reasonable sized bolt, a 4 flute end mill of an appropriate size would do a much better job. Fly cutters are best used for larger areas.

bob

I am cutting the head shorter. I'm not sure why I went with a flycutter actually, I think it makes a lot more since to use an end mill now that you mentioned it.

I actually did use an end mill to also cut the sides of the bolt head down and to cut a flat on the shank as well.

Last edited:
Fly cytter is a very useful thing. They don't need to be big - i build one with half inch swing (was an experiment to test if fly cutter for proxxon mf70 is a viable tool). The biggest advantage of fly cutter - it's cheap, easy to repair and sharpen. Biggest disadvantage - it's slow.

Wysłane z mojego GT-N7100 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Fly cytter is a very useful thing. They don't need to be big - i build one with half inch swing (was an experiment to test if fly cutter for proxxon mf70 is a viable tool). The biggest advantage of fly cutter - it's cheap, easy to repair and sharpen. Biggest disadvantage - it's slow.

Wysłane z mojego GT-N7100 przy użyciu Tapatalka

I couldn't agree more, grzdomagala, and I have an advantage that offsets that one disadvantage--I'm old and RETIRED, so I have plenty of time. Happy Machining, JR49

Back