Fly Wheel to Mini-Mill

xxxx_guy

Registered
Registered
Hi,
Was wondering if anyone had mounted a small fly-wheel to a mini-mill to give it more inertia so that it doesn't jam as much when cutting and drilling?
My mill is a Sieg SX2LF Mini-Mill.
The best place it appears to attach a flywheel would be onto the sides near the bottom of the spindle holder (R8). There is clearance of 40mm height by about 140mm radius to fit a fly wheel here (although I wouldn't be going anything like this big). It looks like I could attach it to the spindle holder perhaps with a collar above or below the fly wheel which could have bolts screwed into the spindle holder (without going through to the inside of course). I've attached a picture of the mini-mill indicating where I would like to put the fly wheel. I've removed the guard since it just gets in the way and doesn't go down far enough to be useful and instead use a face mask instead for protection.
Any thoughts?
Cheers,
xxxx_guy

Mini-mill.jpg

Hi,
Was wondering if anyone had mounted a small fly-wheel to a mini-mill to give it more inertia so that it doesn't jam as much when cutting and drilling?
My mill is a Sieg SX2LF Mini-Mill.
The best place it appears to attach a flywheel would be onto the sides near the bottom of the spindle holder (R8). There is clearance of 40mm height by about 140mm radius to fit a fly wheel here (although I wouldn't be going anything like this big). It looks like I could attach it to the spindle holder perhaps with a collar above or below the fly wheel which could have bolts screwed into the spindle holder (without going through to the inside of course). I've attached a picture of the mini-mill indicating where I would like to put the fly wheel. I've removed the guard since it just gets in the way and doesn't go down far enough to be useful and instead use a face mask instead for protection.
Any thoughts?
Cheers,
xxxx_guy
I have had similar thoughts on doing the same to my zx45 mill as I think this would reduce chatter and help it run and cut more smoothly also .however I've not got around to it yet .If you decide to try it I will be following the thread with anticipation to see what difference it makes and the benefits and down falls if any

Hi Logan,

Please be very careful with that. The additional weight would certainly add rotational inertia, but I’m thinking it might also amplify radial vibrations or imbalances, especially on a machine with limited rigidity such as a mini mill, and especially if you happen to hit a resonant frequency. But, I could be all wet. I was wrong once before. ;) Have you researched to find out if it has already been done successfully, or unsuccessfully?

Tom

When it jams are you cutting steel or aluminum? I'm thinking the machine may simply have a lack of torque- don't know if a flywheel will help that
Mark

FWI there is a way to ADJUST the speed and torque by adjusting the corresponding "Adjustment Pot" that is located on the main circuit board. Your machine may have 2 or 3 of these pots on the circuit board so make sure you are fiddling with the correct pot to suit your needs. ** VERY IMPORTANT** Make sure to mark the position each pot is currently set to so that you can return them back to the factory settings easily if you need to.
I found out about this because my mills overload circuit would get triggered causing the motor to stall out because there wasnt enough torque plus its RPM's were set to high for metal working. Anyway after doing some research i was able to adjust the variable RPM limits range to something more suitable for metal working while also increasing the Torque. These changes turned this mill into a whole new, much more Capable machine compared to what i stated, a machine much more capable then i ever thought it would be.

Sounds a bit on the dangerous side.

You are having a torque/power/stiffness problem and you are thinking about solving the problem by adding bits that will cause more stiffness problems, and the possibility that if it detaches itself, "things could happen".

Back