Flycutter head

wileel

Registered
Registered
Please be forgiving as I am total rookie here. As I'm looking around at mill tooling, I see face mills that attach to shanks but I don't see fly cutter heads designed the same shank... Simple question is why not, it seems like a modular set-up would the ticket if nothing else it would save space in the cabinet

fly cutters come in many different flavors.
some are made to be used with collets or and endmill holder,
some are have the machine taper and the flycutter integral to the design.
1514517023583.png 1514517045292.png
1514517064052.png 1514517142692.png

....but any reason I don't ever see a head that would go on say an R8 shank normally used for a face mill like this?61oAm+nL-0L__SL1000_.jpg

i have seen an interchangeable type, but they are rare and expensive i'd surmise.
i'd have to think that anytime you have a head that can be disassembled, you have a weak spot
unless you are drawing into a taper, but then the taper may cause difficulty in separating the head from the shank

I wonder if its a difference between industrial and hobby use. I remember seeing fly cutters at work, never used one, always had face mills.

Interesting, that's why I was expecting to find more interchangeable heads...

Over the years I made them in several styles and sizes , even with multiple tool bits as cutters . Different angles , diameters , tool bits vertical on a 3 1/2" dia, x 2 1/2 x 3/4" shaft 4 tool bits .

If you look at the fly cutter. You can't have a bolt going through the center like a shell mill.

So, I finally found a pict what I had in my head..

I don't see why you couldn't have a pocket for a recessed fastener head in the cutter, however it may have to located under the tool bit.

R8_carbide_fly_cutter.jpg

Back