Flycutting issues...??

Thanks to all, I appreciate the information.
This is an old refurbished BP 2J mill. I’m going to remove the knee gib so that I can inspect it, mic it. It may already have a shim.

The surface finish on the part looks amazing, so it may only need a minor adjustment.

We may just get a newer, refurb from H&W Machinery.

It’s a shame how some people abuse machinery. I’ll post back soon.

It looks like adjusting the gibs may solve the problem. I would like to remove the knee gib to inspect it. Do I need to support the knee with wood blocks? Is it safe to remove with the knee cranked up or should it be half way?

I think the gib comes out the top. So you would want the knee on the bottom. If you need it, some wood blocking and a hydraulic jack on the outboard side might be useful just to take some pressure off the knee.

Maybe some 2x6’s cut about two foot. Put them so they support the bottom of table just outside the saddle. Lower table till the weight is on 2x6’s. Say two for each side. I would clean the dovetail and oil before lowering just so she don’t get stuck. You might have to use a punch or something to lift the gibb out enough to get fingers on it so don’t bottom the knee out you might need the room. I’d probably put a strap around the knee to keep it tight against the machine. With that gibb out the knee will want to fall toward the operator. Good luck.

Is it the same in both directions? Maybe you are getting some "tool push". You said it was a "cheap Chinese lathe tool" - that really should not be a problem - so long as you have ground it nice and keen. Is it HSS or Carbide? Those brazed carbide tools out of the box are terrible. Grind it yourself to ensure clearance and a "smallish" radius. HSS with a keen grind and a bit of back rake will result in the least amount of tool push.

Let us know how you make out.

Thanks to all of you. Much appreciated information. If I do remove that gib, I’m thinking of using a hoist and also removing the table, saddle etc.

This old 2J vari head is not that bad. No table movement really. It does need a good cleaning. Old oil and chips everywhere.

I will grind a new left hand tool. Looking to buy a Tormach superFly. I will post new updates. Thanks

Just take the handles and bearing blocks off both sides of the table and slide it off. That way you can clean and inspect the whole thing. Adjust if needed. Easy to get to the lead screw nut, clean out the oil passages, etc..

It is helpful to set up a platform of some kind right next to where you slide off the table so you can slide it onto it, use the knee adjustment to make height same. Having someone there helps but if sliding to a platform maybe not needed. I had a table on wheels that was a good height and was able to slide to that and use the wheels to help side all the way off and away. Replace with reverse action.

Back