Flywheel Ring

lotsasteam

Registered
Registered
to have more mass i need a brass ring made OD 140 mm ID 95 mm width 15 mm my taig doesn't do this size, the brass ring will be glued to the aluminium flywheel to make the hit n miss turn over properly (Hoppy made by a british firm) Please ,quote me on this ,thanks in advance, Manfred

Instead of glue, why not heat the ring and let it shrink to fit? Just a thought. Mike

to have more mass i need a brass ring made OD 140 mm ID 95 mm width 15 mm my taig doesn't do this size, the brass ring will be glued to the aluminium flywheel to make the hit n miss turn over properly (Hoppy made by a british firm) Please ,quote me on this ,thanks in advance, Manfred

I was thinking press fit and grub screws or pressed pins to locate it, glue just seems weak for a device that balances torque pulses.
I didn't attempt to find out where you are located I'm in Yuma AZ, but would be willing if your close enough to do the work on my machine's and press fit or shrink fit it to the part at the same time.

Sean

Sean

Thanks,press fit would be perfect in the moment i am still looking for the brass material so it can be machined to size!

Is brass the choice due to weight, ease of machining, or looks?
If for looks I totally understand....

if for weight I would suggest steel or cast iron due to cost of brass unless your casting from scrap. Or lead....inexpensive machinable...heavier than brass.

Ease of machining.....brass, 12l14, steel, or cast iron are all ok.

Definitely shrink fit on that rather than any adhesive, even though there are pretty good adhesives available now. There would be zero doubt about a failure. If you shrink it fairly tight, no pins or screws will be required. It would look best too.

Finally i found a 5 pound slab of round steel 1 1/2 inch thick and 5 1/4 diameter! If you wanna machine it and attach them to the flywheel ,give me a quote please?
Manfred

I will do it if needed...I may have a piece of steel close to that size...and could perhaps save 2 way shipping....what state are you in?.....Oh Utah. ...well that nit horrible far but still a good ways to walk.
Many people from Utah winter here in yuma az, maybe you can send it with one of them. Or flat rate it.

Sean

Back