Folders w.i.p. photos

7mag

Active User
Registered
I'm working on some folder orders and thought I would post some work in progress photos here.
Thanks for looking,
I'll try to answer any questions if anyone has any about the pics.

FOLDERSWIP9.jpg FOLDERSWIP13.jpg FOLDERWIP7.jpg FOLDERWIP2-3.jpg FOLDERWIP2--.jpg FOLDERWIP2--4.jpg

Certainly very neat work and accurate blade grinding.

Been out of the shop for a few months........funny how the basics get forgotten in a short period of time.
Your works in progress are of a higher quality than many finished knives........wow.....nice work.

Beautiful work as always. I am curious why you are boring the pivot; is that a stepped feature? Otherwise I would think a reamer would be faster/more accurate. I also like the chunks of pattern welded steel strategically placed in the photos, are those destined to be part of these knives?

Beautiful work as always. I am curious why you are boring the pivot; is that a stepped feature? Otherwise I would think a reamer would be faster/more accurate. I also like the chunks of pattern welded steel strategically placed in the photos, are those destined to be part of these knives?

Thanks for the comments guys.
I drill and ream the pivot hole in the frames, 3/16", and bore a pocket for the ball thrust bearing. I could use a piloted counterbore for the pocket but it is more accurate for me to bore and get the .048 depth I'm looking for.
The damascus pieces are for onlays for the flipper I was grinding in one of the photos.

FLIPPER300DPI.jpg

That is DEAD SEXY. What did you use as an etch for the inlays?

That is DEAD SEXY. What did you use as an etch for the inlays?

I use Archer Etchant from Radio Shack. I mix the etchant with water, about half and half. I clean the damascus with acetone and dip the damascus in the mixture for a couple minutes, take it out and see how it looks. I re-dip for a couple more minutes and then soak in water/baking soda mix to neutrilize the mixture.

- - - Updated - - -

In the first photo of this thread, the third knife is finished and headed to it's new home. It has titanium frame, CPM154 stainless blade. I've attached a pic of it.
Thanks for looking,

TIAWANFINISH1.jpg TIAWANFINISH7.jpg

I use Archer Etchant from Radio Shack. I mix the etchant with water, about half and half. I clean the damascus with acetone and dip the damascus in the mixture for a couple minutes, take it out and see how it looks. I re-dip for a couple more minutes and then soak in water/baking soda mix to neutrilize the mixture.

- - - Updated - - -

In the first photo of this thread, the third knife is finished and headed to it's new home. It has titanium frame, CPM154 stainless blade. I've attached a pic of it.
Thanks for looking,

Very nice solid looking piece, well finished
aRM

7mag, are you building the pivot screws or buying them somewhere? Nice work by the way!

Dwayne

Dwayne,
I make the pivots on my Enco 9x19 lathe or my Schaublin 70.
Thanks,

Back