Follow rest top brass piece is not centered

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
I have a PM1127 lathe and I'm messing around with the follow rest for the first time today. I noticed that the top brass part is not centered while the side one is. The brass pieces are pointed. The angle of the top brass piece is resting on top of the workpiece. Is this normal? It seems like if you push down on the brass piece, it is supporting the top part of the workpiece as well as the side away from the user.

I'm having a problem wrapping my head around what you are describing. Can you post a picture?

See how the top brass part is way off center?

06LMfUC.jpg

I see. Normally the mounting bolt holes are slotted for adjustment. But it could be that the bolt holes in the carriage or follower rest are just mislocated. That is definitely not right. I guess I would just slot the bolt holes in the follower rest to correct it.

Cocked a bit outboard.
Or possibly a 12" model that shipped with an 11" lathe?

I don't want to drill new holes on the carriage. I'm thinking of building up the holes on the follow rest by TIG welding, then drilling and tapping new holes.

Or maybe I'll mill slots aligned with the existing holes with enough side movement to center the follow rest.

The brass piece should center on the workpiece, if it does not, the result is that with different diameters of stock, the bearing point shifts, resulting in poor (shifting) bearing and resulting rapid wear.

I emailed them with a picture and asked them maybe I received one that was meant for other sized lathes

I gotta check the steady rest to see if it's the same

Back