Follow rest top brass piece is not centered

My question is:: How much slop is there between the two screws/bolts that hold the follow rest to the cross slide apron?

The suggestion(s) are to enlarge the mounting holes into slots on the follower rest, not the carriage.

If the horizontal brass finger is at the right height, I'd think it is the correct one for your lathe.....but I'm not at all familiar with that model.

If necessary, slotting out the holes is an easy cure, one that I used when I made a follow rest for my 9" Monarch lathe; If you used TIG to fill the hole, likely the result would be so hard that it would be un machineable.

It looks like the groove in the rest for the top finger was machined off center, it's not on the high point of the curve.

How does the top post line up with the one on the steady rest. Looking at the PM website, it looks like they should be in an identical position.

It looks like the groove in the rest for the top finger was machined off center, it's not on the high point of the curve.
I think it is more likely that the drilling for attaching to the cross slide is off; slotting those holes would cure the problem, but perhaps getting the seller to cure the problem is the better path.

Slot the holes to correct the misalignment and then back weld the portion of the slot that is not wanted/needed to help keep the rest from unwanted movement. Before welding I would place either a copper or an aluminum rod/tube the size of the bolt into the flange to keep the weld from closing up the needed hole while making it very easy to clean up and make look all nice and pretty.

Back