Followed me home - now what to do with it...

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
An acquaintance has let me borrow his older ForceForge printer.
I figure that the first order of business is to read through the posts here.
Read through some ForceForge postings over coffee this morning.
Second order is to figure out which model it is. I haven't found anything on it except the logo on the front and a S/N on the back.
Looking through images on a search it might be a Creator X.
Needs some TLC third off. Spool holders, some covers and maybe a feed tube device.
He's got a load of spools of both PLA and ABS so this shouldn't cost me much except time, which has been is real short supply lately. But I couldn't pass this up.
, 0803171805.jpg 0803171805b.jpg 0803171807a.jpg

Last edited:
3D printers are a rabbit hole with a vortex. As soon as you step down the hole, you find out all the improvements you can do and all the other directions you could go. (Check out the recent thread here on 3D scanning.)

I have a Tronxy P802MA sitting on my desk. It isn't running yet because one of the temperature sensors isn't working. I ordered a couple of hotends, but they won't be here for some time. Meanwhile, I started to realize that you can do SO much more with a printer that can load more than one filament at a time. I now have a 3-into-1 extruder coming from Denmark and a new control board to go with it. All without even running the printer yet.

Talk about jumping in with both feet! I'm doing this now because I'm planning on retiring next summer and I won't feel like spending money on something new after that.

If you're thinking about 3D printing, things are getting a lot cheaper and more sophisticated, especially in the US of A. Printers here are about double the cost there.

sweet score Dan!
i don't have experience in the 3d realm, but the field is fascinating to me!
do you have programming experience?

Yep, unfortunately all pre-21st century languages... Skills set is woefully behind the times.
Should be able to stumble my way through it hopefully.

3D printers are a rabbit hole with a vortex. As soon as you step down the hole, you find out all the improvements you can do and all the other directions you could go. (Check out the recent thread here on 3D scanning.)
]
I have a Tronxy P802MA sitting on my desk. It isn't running yet because one of the temperature sensors isn't working. I ordered a couple of hotends, but they won't be here for some time. Meanwhile, I started to realize that you can do SO much more with a printer that can load more than one filament at a time. I now have a 3-into-1 extruder coming from Denmark and a new control board to go with it. All without even running the printer yet.

Talk about jumping in with both feet! I'm doing this now because I'm planning on retiring next summer and I won't feel like spending money on something new after that.
If you're thinking about 3D printing, things are getting a lot cheaper and more sophisticated, especially in the US of A. Printers here are about double the cost there.

Rabbit hole with a Vortex leading to a Black Hole I figure... :grin:

Twice the price north of the border? Sounds like computer components back in the '90s.
Had a few friends up there back then, and would visit Toronto with care package(s)

I've had to ignore it for the time being trying to get the 'To-Do' list caught up.
And then there's the tiny matter of finding room in the shop for it. I don't want to operate it in the house in case the fumes are irritating.

yeah, welcome to the club. I think you'll find that having 2 heads opens the capabilities to what you can do, as well as cause your headaches to become migraines. Also have a direct dive on the head means you can run flexible and softer filament (ie things like ninjaflex!).

so yeah, let the spiral down the rabbit hole begin! And if you need help with anything, just shout.

EDIT! so what software do you plan on using for your slicer?

Last edited:
yeah, welcome to the club. I think you'll find that having 2 heads opens the capabilities to what you can do, as well as cause your headaches to become migraines. Also have a direct dive on the head means you can run flexible and softer filament (ie things like ninjaflex!).

so yeah, let the spiral down the rabbit hole begin! And if you need help with anything, just shout.

EDIT! so what software do you plan on using for your slicer?

Haven't quite gotten that far -yet. Going to redo a laptop and dedicate it to the printer.
I saw a menu choice in Fusion360 of 'Send to 3dPrinter Utility' and am curious about that.
Need to educate myself on the process and also pick out a program.
Reading over some other forums there are a lot of tweaks to make this printer perform better.
I believe that it's a Creator X, but still am not certain of that.

I believe the "send to printer" button just exports an STL file, but having never actually tried it I guess I can't say that for sure.

Back